• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Onboard air

Cosmokramer

What onboard air systems are you guys running, and how are you mounting them? I am interested in airing up the tires after off-roading mostly.

I have 24v to 12v converter, is there any reason to get a 24v compressor system over a 12v system?

Should I get one with a tank or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

911joeblow

How about two 12v pumps in parallel to get 12v each? That will be likely the same price as a 24v pump and much more air. I would add a tank.

ari

I have a 12 volt compressor that plugs into a 12 v charging port/ cig lighter that I installed. It works great it saved me when I got a flat and my spare was way low on air it had a slow leak.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to change your steering control arm covers and spindles to CTIS as well...once that's done, you can hook up most anything to air up, airing down will require a hummer H1 type CTIS manifold, not cheap...but available.
the lower inner bearing cones need to be removed and the shim added, also requires a new bearing cone spacer as well.
i rebuild CTIS hubs all the time and they are not the same component wise as non- CTIS hubs.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM shows them as 6001784 and 6009350
you will need to order from a provider such as hummer parts guy.
you need to look in the TM for the parts break down...the figure shows one hub but all the parts for both types of hubs.

Cosmokramer

If anyone else has input for onboard air systems, where you mounted it, if you stayed 24v or 12v, what size etc, I appreciate the input. Not really interested in the CTIS at this time, though I know it's a great option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanruck

Well, I don't have an onboard air setup currently but I'm planning on putting one in. I've got a couple parts for it I scored cheap but haven't really set in stone where everything is going to go.

For the compressor I've got a brand new Extreme Outback 24v milsurp unit I picked up for about $100 and for the air tank I've got a 10 gallon tank that, I believe, is a HEMTT air tank according to the part number which I got for $30. The tank is a little on the large side so I'm having a little trouble deciding where I'm going to put it. Can't put it under the bed because most of that space will be taken up with a rear winch. Thought it might fit up under a rear fender but I'm pretty sure when the suspension is under decent compression it would hit it. So at this point I'm thinking on top of the driver's side fender (I've got jerry cans mounted on the passenger's side). Supposedly the compressor is rated for continuous duty use by itself but I wanted a tank for possible limited tool use. Don't really need to worry about an impact driver though since I've got a Roboimpact 24v. I probably should have gone smaller on the tank but for the price I couldn't pass it up. If I can't make it work may have to look at a smaller one but I hope not. 10 gallons of air is a nice reserve.

Haven't decided where the compressor is going to go just yet either. It's decently sized though so it will need a little room and I want it above where I might submerge it. The nice thing is the Extreme Outback compressor can be oriented however I need it for mounting.

Going to plumb in a front and rear quick disconnect to hook up hoses and tools.

I figured 24v because, why not! I've got 200A of 24v power available plus the compressor was super cheap for what it was! :mrgreen:

I'll start tackling all the specifics when the weather warms up.

air_compressor_extreme_outback_mil_zpsdu9aanlp.jpg tank.jpg

Augi

I used an A/C compressor ands it's been going strong for years. I can fill a tire in under 2 minutes, just like having shop air. If I set the engine at 1000 or 1200 rpm idle it never drops below 80 psi even when I'm using a ton of air. Way better than electric.
This post below is old so it doesn't have my latest updates. I ended up mounting a second power steering cooler right above the first one on the radiator and using it to cool the charge air out of the compressor.
https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=4675&p=1197018

Augi

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario

Do you guys install onboard air on M998s?

If so, what parts you use?

When I was in rock crawling world, we routinely turned A/C compressors into onboard air compressors (we didn't need A/C since we had no doors, windows or windshields).

someoldmoose

Does your vehicle have a/c now ? If so you have most of it. Some lines (or hoses), a FILTERED inlet source, a storage vessel (tank) WITH DRAIN and a high pressure cut-off, and a way to get the air to your end use device. (tool, inflator, etc.) The link above is good. I also have seen articles in Four Wheel and Off Road and like magazines over the years. I like using the a/c compressor because it can be turned on and off manually and / or automatically with a pressure switch. Had both on my ride so the air horns always had HONK available but I could turn it on through a dash switch as well. (Dept. of Redundancy Dept.) Came in handy many times.

someoldmoose

Well, then make a shopping list and hit your closest Pick & Pull salvage yard. Basics : compressor, preferably off a GM with a 6.2 diesel. Any can be made to fit but that should be a bolt on. Take all the lines and attached parts all the way to the firewall. A crankcase breather for the low (intake) side. If it's got big trucks with air brakes, get some tanks (bonus if you can find any with a pressure switch already on it, unlikely but not impossible). If tanks are found, get as much of the air lines that are attached as you can. You'll need to figure out where to mount the tanks and lines. A little heat won't hurt but avoid hot and rotating stuff. Run the output from the tanks to a female air chuck or truck gladhand to attach your hose and tools. The only pain is how to lubricate the compressor. Fancy, plumb lines from your engine with a tiny orifice in the pressure side. Return MUST COME Out of the lowest point of the "crankcase" of the compressor. Simple, pour a little (depends on usage) in the intake side when you use it. I used Mobil 1 and the simple method. Ran for as long as I had it. Wire up the clutch and go to town.

Mario

Well, then make a shopping list and hit your closest Pick & Pull salvage yard. Basics : compressor, preferably off a GM with a 6.2 diesel. Any can be made to fit but that should be a bolt on. Take all the lines and attached parts all the way to the firewall. A crankcase breather for the low (intake) side. If it's got big trucks with air brakes, get some tanks (bonus if you can find any with a pressure switch already on it, unlikely but not impossible). If tanks are found, get as much of the air lines that are attached as you can. You'll need to figure out where to mount the tanks and lines. A little heat won't hurt but avoid hot and rotating stuff. Run the output from the tanks to a female air chuck or truck gladhand to attach your hose and tools. The only pain is how to lubricate the compressor. Fancy, plumb lines from your engine with a tiny orifice in the pressure side. Return MUST COME Out of the lowest point of the "crankcase" of the compressor. Simple, pour a little (depends on usage) in the intake side when you use it. I used Mobil 1 and the simple method. Ran for as long as I had it. Wire up the clutch and go to town.
Like this one?
Look at this on eBay link removed, site rule.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used an A/C compressor ands it's been going strong for years. I can fill a tire in under 2 minutes, just like having shop air. If I set the engine at 1000 or 1200 rpm idle it never drops below 80 psi even when I'm using a ton of air. Way better than electric.
This post below is old so it doesn't have my latest updates. I ended up mounting a second power steering cooler right above the first one on the radiator and using it to cool the charge air out of the compressor.
http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=204675&p=1197018

Augi
Updated link to Augi's post on G503
https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=4675&p=1197018
Bulldogger

JoeJrTheBarber

I picked up a 24volt air horn kit from a company out or texas. Comes with the 24volt compressor, 10 gallon tank, fittings, horn itself, etc.
So now besides having a 44" horn that hits at almost 200psi I have front and rear on board air hookups for whatveer i might need them for.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a 24volt air horn kit from a company out or texas. Comes with the 24volt compressor, 10 gallon tank, fittings, horn itself, etc.
So now besides having a 44" horn that hits at almost 200psi I have front and rear on board air hookups for whatveer i might need them for.
Sounds like an interesting setup. I saw some 2 gallon kits on eBay for not much money, but the duty cycle was too low to be useful for anything but filling a tire or two.
Could you add some pictures please? Motor-driven onboard air from repurposing an AC compressor is a good manual way, but I'm also investigating electric. I wonder where you stashed the 10 gal tank for starters. I am not deeply experienced with air piping and plumbing so am still mentally stepping through how I might do that.
The price of kits varies, but a decent high duty cycle portable electric setup is near $200 (Viair seems to be about the only one). If a few more $$ gets unlimited air and the ability to do more than fill a tire, it might be worth saving up for.
BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks