• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

onboard compressor

llong66

I have been toying with the idea of adding a compressor in my 85M1008 and was looking around at some today and am wondering about the numbers I am seeing.
As an example, a 24V Vlair puts ot only 0.95 cfm at 100#, this doe not sound like much flow, im not in my shop and cant remember what some of its numbers are. They also advertise this unit as filling a 25x12.5 tire in 8min50sec,, Ive never timed mine but that seems slow. I guess my main concern is 0.95cfm enough to run an impac wrench and a few other emergency tools It comes with 3 qnd 5 gal tanks

TMNT

I've got an "extreme" duty twin compressor ViAir system on my civi vehicle. It does a good job for airing up tires, blowing the air horns, etc. It will run an impact wrench for about 10 seconds. There's simply not enough volume for air tools.

Atwater

for trips i just throw my portable gas powered compressor in behind the cab. leaves plenty of space for the goose-neck hitch and has plenty of air to run just about anything2cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the NCPD1006 here. Buzzard Gulch Catalog N 2010 go to pg 4.
Its a great little compressor and many folks have split the tanks and compressor. Research Puma compressors. There are some good reviews from off road forums.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the NCPD1006 here. Buzzard Gulch Catalog N 2010 go to pg 4.
Its a great little compressor and many folks have split the tanks and compressor. Research Puma compressors. There are some good reviews from off road forums.
I have one in the side cabinet of my AF maintenance truck. Great little compressor. Paid about $200 a couple of years ago. I will be adding a larger tank beneath the body.

Attachments

derf

I have a Tsunami under the hood of my Prerunner Tacoma. 12V and no tank, though. The Tsunami is not bad for an inexpensive unit.

$60 at Pep Boys. You should be able to run two in series for 24V applications, I think. If you have space and fab skills you could probably get a good amount of CFM from a pair and a tank for around $150-200.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9357343/00709/

Barrman

I put a York OBA set up on my M715 in 2005. It aired up tires and ran air tools, some. However, by the time you get a new, yes new because a used York is going to die sooner or later, compressor, new pulley and clutch, air tanks, copper line to connect them together, make mounts, find a 4 groove 6.2 bottom pulley, wires, controller, switches and put it all in. You would have been time and money ahead to do as others in this thread have suggested or get a Powertank. Plus, a compressor or Powertank can be used on more than a single vehicle.

I am currently taking the OBA off my M715.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air storage is the kicker here. I used my little Puma a while back on a stuck hydraulic line. I blew a 1" hose on the M108 down the road. Needed to fix it on site as the crane was jibbed out and the crane itself swung out to the side. No matter what I did I couldn't get the old hose loose with the 1 3/8" wrench. I ended up using my Slave powered recip saw to cut the hose from the fitting and the 1" impact to knock it out. I used the little puma to air up the pig I use and with little more than a burp, the 1" impact had the fitting out. Parallel portable air tanks are wonderful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks