• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ones that Rusted Away

JeepMan

I have several more vehicles then I need or will ever get to enjoy --
but they're -- 'mine'.
Yes, 'someday' I'll get to them but in the meantime, they're 'mine'.

trudsmtuner

Well this is my firs post, but just picked up this m37. Sad to say it is rusted to pieces. Drive train is all about that is salvageable. If anybody needs anything feel free to contact me. I think i might keep the drive train and any good glass and scrap the rest.

Guy bought it in 84 for the bed, left the rest sit. you can barely make hte tail light out in the one picture. The tree's got a good hold on it. lol

Attachments

KI4GSN

I've too had a guy tell me he'd rather let a truck "sit and rot to the ground" before he would let it go for less than what he paid for it. And he overpaid by ALOT. That was a 52 (?) GMC gasser. I also looked at a 46 Ford/Seagrave fire truck in SC. The guy was all about finding someone to restore it, didn't want to see it lost, yada yada yada. Got to talking about the price ($2500 :roll:), and he procedes to say "well, it's worth what I want for it in scrap".

Now that I think about it, maybe I should go back and offer him scrap price for it. With scrap at about $3 on the hundred, I figure the truck's worth about $300 :-D.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I passed a 1953 chevy belair convertable every day for 5 years on the school bus when I was going to Middle school. (1990 or so) It needed some work, had 4 flats and needed a new top and upolstry. When I got my DL, (1996) I went there with $1000 cash my grandmother had left me, and knocked on the guys door. I tried to find out what he wanted for it, told me it wasn't for sale. Even flashed the cash to show I was serious. Guy laughed and slammed the door. This past year I went by it, and some loggers had run over the front with a skidder. :cry:

Sad.

mrcucv

My folks gave away my 1956 White refrigerator truck. It had been parked in 1989 and not moved. The weekend I get the parts I needed to make it run and even get home. I even had 10 new tires and wheels. After calling them and telling them I was coming up they informed me they gave it to a scrapper who towed it away. Yep talk about killing alot of plans.
haha yeah that sucks. That happened to me before i was all set for an f150 and got tires exhaust a plow and the guy was like oh i just traded it in.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well this is my firs post, but just picked up this m37. Sad to say it is rusted to pieces. Drive train is all about that is salvageable. If anybody needs anything feel free to contact me. I think i might keep the drive train and any good glass and scrap the rest.

Guy bought it in 84 for the bed, left the rest sit. you can barely make hte tail light out in the one picture. The tree's got a good hold on it. lol

I don't know, bud - I see a lot of good parts on there. The front bumper, rims, the brush guards, a myriad of small parts. Guys like us on this site buy stuff and part it out to the last bit to save at least SOME of it for other trucks more worthy of resto. Get a socket set on that Power Wagon before you let the scrappers have the rest....

It is important to remember that, sure some of the parts we need for our trucks are available now, but the spares are quickly disappearing. Even experts in the field like Midwest Military say they are running out of once-common parts. There are plenty of restorable trucks and trailers out there, and if we simply shrug our shoulders and say "scrap this pile" and forget to pull all the usable parts off, we may be denying another Steel Soldier from putting his restorable unit back together.

I bought a junker M103 trailer in 2007, the frame was cut and mangled, but every other part on that trailer has found a home with someone else - rims, axle, lunette, landing wheel assy, light mounts, lights, springs and mounts - EVERYTHING. Only the frame met the torch, and even one hunk of the frame was saved for shop stock.

gunboy1656

There is a guy near me that has/had over the years 8 M105 trailers and an M211. When I was a kid, had been checking these out for years.

I get the money and go talk to the shop selling it. Now i had been reading MVM for a few years, so i have an idea what to expect in price. But to my surprise, i was off.

I did not ask about the 105's, but the 211 had my attention. still had the OD paint job (although faded) stars and other markings visible.the soft top and seats were gone, tires rotted all around. the windshields were fogged in.would not start even with new batteries put in it.

I ask the store owner how much he wanted for the 211, he goes $2500. A couple days later i was showing the truck to a friend of mine. and one of the employees came out and told me they wanted $1500. So we talked for a bit. the next day i hit the bank and went to go get it. When i get there the manager is back. offer the 1500 i brought, he said wont budge under 2500. so i walked away.

couple years ago the bodies of the 105 rotten completely off the frames, the 211 is still rotting in place. and the owner still wont go under 2500.

Scott

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks