• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

only smoking downhill

Kgood

I'm confused on my 37'. She runs fine uphill, on flats. She idles fine on flats and uphill. But if the truck is idling on a downhill slope, she outperforms a steam engine on the amount of cloud cover in the area. Appears to be oil, smells like it. Thought it was the oil bath but after checking the goose neck drain valve, its dry. Any thoughts would be appreciated

mcmullag

What he said. With the throttle plate closed, the intake stroke suction is pulling air past the valves, sucking air from the oil sump area.
On an overhead valve engine ohv you can sometimes get by with replacing the cup shaped rubber seals on the valve stems but on a flat head, I don't know what the valves have on them if anything to help stop this oil vapor from going down along the valve stems, or up, in this case.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think your problem is related to the vacuum pump. Disconnect the line between it and the intake manifold and see what happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks