• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oops looks like a bought a MEP 003a!

TucsonVTXF

51801462_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg51801481_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg51801483_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg51801495_gl_large_thumb.jpg51801504_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg51801506_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg51801533_gl_tiny_thumb.jpg51801541_gl_tiny_thumb.jpglooks like I pushed a lil hard and bought one out of Barstow, CA!!! looks like I will need to locate a air cleaner assembly!

Last edited:

TucsonVTXF

looks like it lived in the northeast before it was rebuilt by Ft. Drum in 05. Also it lived in OKC.

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

looks like I pushed a lil hard and bought one out of Barstow, CA!!! looks like I will need to locate a air cleaner assembly!
If you got the unit home already, be sure to roll the engine over to clear possible water out of the cylinders that have the exhaust 90 pointing up. Maybe turn it with the 5/8" socket by hand first and confirm nothing's seized up...

Also I just got in some MEP3s that may or may not be runners, so maybe I'll have an air cleaner ass'y available. It'll take a few weeks before I get to them though...working on some MEP4s now....

Kevin

TucsonVTXF

keep me in mind for the air cleaner I will also will need the 55 gallon drum adaptor and fuel rod.. I am not in a rush to get it running its more a project at this point..

Jimc

If you go on a big auction site and search jerry can bung cap, there is a guy selling the whole kit brand new with the pipes

TucsonVTXF

mep pick up1.jpgmep pick up2.jpgJust got the MEP home last night! 3 of the 4 glow plugs have the tab that is welded or soldered to the inner of the plug are undone. Can they be re attached? the unit was packed full of sand in the fins of the heads so all that has been pressure washed out... I tried to preview the lot of mep-002a's that are coming up for auction but they wouldn't let me do that with out an appointment and I just didn't have time to do that... Sorry....

Last edited:

TucsonVTXF

If you got the unit home already, be sure to roll the engine over to clear possible water out of the cylinders that have the exhaust 90 pointing up. Maybe turn it with the 5/8" socket by hand first and confirm nothing's seized up...

Also I just got in some MEP3s that may or may not be runners, so maybe I'll have an air cleaner ass'y available. It'll take a few weeks before I get to them though...working on some MEP4s now....

Kevin
Any status on if you have a air cleaner assy. available?

TucsonVTXF

Status update!!!!!!! built new battery cables and installed batteries, replaced all fuel filters including the fuel pump filters... cleaned the fuel tank and lines... cleaned the ip...cleaned all of the sand from the cooling fins of the engine, distribution box and oil cooler... replaced oil filter and installed fresh oil....received 4 new champion glow plugs and now waiting for their gaskets to arrive... now on hold for a air cleaner if 1800 Diesel has one... I am hoping to try the first start around the 8th!!!

storeman

Roger. I just thought an early start would guide you to other potential problems in case of weather turning on you. But I just noticed you are in Tucson, so you obviously aren't as sensitive to the hurricane season as many of us are.
Jerry:beer:

TucsonVTXF

no weather out here other than monsoon. I want to move back to Maine in a few years so I bought a mep out here where they are plentiful..

TucsonVTXF

Glow plug gaskets shipped today and will be here Monday! I am going nuts wanting to fire this thing off! Lol still in need of a air cleaner assy. Should I try to run it with out one?

Jimc

if it were me i would run it. not permanently of course but you can certainly run it to work out all the kinks in the unit. i would think the air cleaner assy would be easily available for delks, saturn, colemans or any of those places.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks