• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oops Rags in Intake

xts

BIG mistake. I had rags stuffed in the intake to keep the dirt out....now there in the engine. M923 cummings. Well I guess ill keep you updated. Dam no screen or anything to stop em. Now the teardown begins. Can you help me with where to find gaskets. IE intake exhaust and heads...I guess. Truck might end up parted out...what a shame. It is a nice truck...and I just got it home. :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may have gotten lucky. I'd pull the intake and see how far they got. If they didn't make it past the valves you'll be ok and should be able to pull them out without removing the head. If they did make it to the cylinder there's a chance you caused damage. You sill may have got out lucky though. There's not much space in a diesel combustion chamber when at TDC.

I once had a Perkins diesel suck in a rats nest right after rebuild (I didn't check the intake for debris during rebuild). It cost me two new pistons and sleeves.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a friend that did this too(with a Chevy BB), the rags lodged in the intake valves allowing the pistons to hit the valves. Ruined the engine.

dburt

Be careful from now on XTS, you just used up almost a life time's supply of good luck on that one!
Think twice now about everything you do, cuz' you might not have any good karma left!:roll:

oboyjohn

Re: rags in intake.

Hi everyone. First time post here. Have seen a hand full of rags go right through a runaway 6V53 and exit the exhaust as a white puff and the engine did not slow down. In fact, it continued to accelerate till it self destructed. Word of advice, if a 6V53 runs away, so should you.

jaxsof

I saw a rag go through a 3306 Cat once. Marine engene. It spit it right out the exhaust, a little shredded, but still cloth.

Militoy

Not exactly an uncommon problem - so don't feel too bad. My father-in-law is a retired fleet manager from a major power company. He managed a fleet of over 600 heavy trucks and tractors for over 30 years - so he has a bit of experiance with diesel engines. One of his projects after retirement was a rebuild of two vacuum trucks with big Cummins engines. After a complete rebuild of the first engine, he fired up the truck and sucked in a handful of shop towels he forgot to pull from the intake:roll:. The result in that case wasn't so pretty - and he had to perform some major top-end repairs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks