• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operating a CUCV with no alternator belts-help!

sgreen2

Both of my alternator belts broke on the way in to work today. They broke about five minutes apart of each other, that's my luck. I checked the remains and they were dry rotted. My question is, is it safe to drive my vehicle without the alternators for a period of time? I know in the TM's it states don't operate the vehicle if the Gen lights come on, but I assume that is for other malfunctioning alternator light issues. Correct me if i'm wrong, but can't I drive for as long as there is enough battery power to operate the starter and operate any lights? I know that is how it would work on a normal Civy truck. Thanks for your help.

Skinny

You can go as long as your battery keeps the IP powered up. Just make sure your water pump belt still works. When that goes you will overheat.

I would safely assume that grabbing three new drive belts and installing them is time/money well spent that risking anything even if you have to do it on the side of the road.

camogriz

The same thing happened to me one night as I was leaving the parking lot at work (both alternator belts broke at the same time). I drove home 45 miles with the headlights on and made it with no problem. Granted my batteries were fairly new. The truck even had enough juice to start up again the next morning without any help. I bought all new belts and didn't have any negative effects from the incident.

tbearatkin

Should be no issues, daytime driving no problem, night time driving the front battery will drain with headlight use. FYI I drove a M1008 in the military over one week with the Alt 2 light on and the alternator was not working as when it finally did not start the mechanics that came an jumped started me fixed it the next day by replacing the generator. NO I did not tell them the light had been on for two weeks. At the time the only time something got fixed was when it was dead lined. If I had reported it when I found it I they would have put it in the shop and they would have gotten to it when they go to it.

ryan77

I drove a m1028 from Pigeon Forge TN to Chicago with no alt belts. Drove straight through and didnt shut it off. All i had was a 12 pack of diet coke and i pod!!!

philofab

If you wire the injection pump solenoid open it will continue to run even if the batteries go dead. I keep a zip tie in my Cummins just incase I have an issue and need to get home.

scottladdy

If you wire the injection pump solenoid open it will continue to run even if the batteries go dead. I keep a zip tie in my Cummins just incase I have an issue and need to get home.
Do you know how this is done on a DB2 pump? I believe the solenoid is inside the pump on these.

philofab

I'll find the motor I pulled from the last H1 and look... I'm not super familiar with the 6.2/6.5s. By the way, they drive much better with Duramax engines in them!