• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operating Temp Issue....

pcblakeley

I I just went out and started my truck and checked the lights and new alternator and I think I may have a little issue with the temperature.

I was intending on warming up the truck to operating them to check all the gauges and fluids.....so i let it warm up for about 8 minutes and hopped in the cab to look at the temp and it was all the way at the left (Cold) I tapped on it a few times and it hopped all the way to 220, I secured the power to the gauge and then repowered it and the needed indicated 220 again.

I turned the truck off and popped the hood to look and feel around and the entire block, radiator hoses, water pump, coolant and associated underhood components were barely warm.

The fluid was lukewarm in the radiator and it had built up a small amount of pressure.

The top and lower radiator hoses were the same temperature as the water pump.

Above and below the thermostat was the same temp.

I did notice that the radiator cap was a little loose when I went to remove it.

I am thinking that the gauge is faulty but I am not too sure.....What do you guys think

pcblakeley

I started it cold and tapped on the gauge....sure enough it went straight to 220.....

I guess I will be tracking down a new gauge.

Thanks SandCobra!

LanceRobson

Unless you run it at 1,300 or 1,400 RPM with the radiator covered the thermostat is unlikely to ever fully open. If it's an M809 series truck the temp with it fully warmed up should be 175-195F.

Without digging into the -20 manual I don't know if an over range gauge is caused by a gauge or a wiring issue but you might want to check which causes it before buying any parts. It could be a simple as a bad wire or ground.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks