• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation Mighty Mite Miracle

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered the following from Rock Auto:

2 each Timken 27690 large bearing
2 each Timken 27620 large race

2 each Timken 18790 small bearing
2 each Timken 18720 small race

2 each National 410708 front hub seal

The total including shipping was $170. Thankfully, Rock Auto accepts PayPal.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From Doc:
A greased hub and pressed bearing ready to go. I have all the box numbers showing in case anyone wants to work on their own Mite. Other photos are of installed hub front and rear. No rubber boot or front seal yet.

Attachments

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From Doc:
I did some wiring just to do something different. Here are the before and after photos of the main harness that mates to the headlight harness. The wires were a bit frayed so I replaced about a ten inch length back to the good insulation under the tape. I installed the new brake light switch and plugged it in.

Attachments

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From Doc:
These are the hub stops that were missing. One had no stop nut and was welded. Ugh. I didn't see until I was cleaning. aua I ground the weld down and re-tapped. Couldn't save the bolt. There have been some casualties in this rebuild.

DSCN2097.jpgDSCN2098.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered 6 Dorman 13563 rubber tie rod boots on Tuesday. They should arrive on 12/20.

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another update from Doc:
Tie rods removed. The Mite must have hit a few tree stumps in its time. auaauaaua Rods are little bowed. I needed a little help with some heat to remove the adjustment bolts and straighten the rods. Finished the rods with new boots. The adjustment sleeves are fully functioning! :)

The tie rods look brand new, OEM, right out of the box just like everything else he touches on this vehicle. I am eternally grateful for the time, effort, and energy that he is pouring into this restoration. I had no idea that so many components and subsystems needed TLC. When this project is complete, I will essentially have a 56 year 'new' Mighty Mite!!!! :)
:jumpin::clinto:[thumbzup] :driver:

Attachments

Last edited:

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree. This Mite will be in better shape than it was on the day it rolled out of the factory. :)

As a side note, I bought 6 new whitewall tires for my Model A. Hopefully this upcoming Saturday will be a dry day (the forecast is showing 100% chance of rain right now). He wants to help me install them and align the front end.

Another Ahab

As a side note, I bought 6 new whitewall tires for my Model A. Hopefully this upcoming Saturday will be a dry day (the forecast is showing 100% chance of rain right now). He wants to help me install them and align the front end.
You just got to post a pic of Alyssa in her Sunday-best once you got those mounted!

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The boot clips that Bensinger sent wouldn't work. Doc, irked but highly motivated, made his own.

First, go to True Value where all the good auto parts are. Buy some piano wire. Good spring steel and make a couple of bends....

DSCN2120.jpgDSCN2122.jpgDSCN2123.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finish the bends, then make another one just like it. The last picture is the finished product in place. :)
DSCN2124.jpgDSCN2125.jpgDSCN2126.jpg

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll post the pictures on your Non MV thread. The current set of white walls are yellowed from age. The new set is nice, bright, and pure white. I can't wait to see them on the car! I have a feeling she'll ride, steer, and stop a lot better with new bias ply tires on all four corners. Softer rubber.

You just got to post a pic of Alyssa in her Sunday-best once you got those mounted!

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another update from Doc:

I removed the old seal. It was a leather seal. Too "old school". The new neoprene rubber is superior. I installed the new seal and reinstalled the pitman arm.

Attachments

ODFever

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea how Doc pulled the seal out. I copied and pasted his notes and uploaded the pictures that he sent me. I'm trapped at my desk at work 5 days a week, which is 130 miles away from his shop. I haven't seen the Mite in person since I dropped it off last year. :-( I REALLY want to get up to his shop, see the progress with my own eyes, and turn some wrenches. Unfortunately, taking care of my daughter, TaeKwonDo, work, holidays, illnesses, and catastrophic failure of my residential HVAC system have prevented me from making the trip.

Another Ahab

Unfortunately, taking care of my daughter, TaeKwonDo, work, holidays, illnesses, and catastrophic failure of my residential HVAC system have prevented me from making the trip.
It's like that isn't it?! Living always seems to get in the way of what we WANT to do.

And, DOH, I forget that the picture is from Doc and not you. I apologize, OD. :doh:

I'm a little slow on the uptake, sometimes: especially when I forget to take my vitamins:

bacon.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks