• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinion needed cucv

juspar

Ok here is the plan. I have 86 m1008 that i am going to use to pull my jeep for wheeling trips and putt around town in every once and again. As you all know the truck bearly goes 55-60 mph. So i wont to lift it and run a 35 to 37 inch tire.
That should get me to about 65-70 in theory. But that will suck most of the power and get up and go the truck has.

Would it be better to go with a turbo/banks sidwinder or a 6.5 turbo setup.
OR
Go with a gearvendors over/ under drive that make the turbo 400 3 speed a 6 speed trans.

Power or gearing?

Only have the money to do one and lift the truck i can do the other later but it will take some time to save some cash.

thanks jp

Westech

CPL
well I would do nothing. You will loose all the pulling power of the truck. Unless your going 4 or 5 hours away you wont get to where your going any faster. 55 or 65 is not that big of a deal unless going 200+ miles. If you want a towing truck sell the 08 and get a 3/4 ton full size with a over drive. The CUCV is what it is and is not worth putting all the $$ and drive train swaps. There are better ways to spend your money.

tourdog

i would have to agree . i look into a gearvender unit big bucks and i already have the unit just the adapter was 7-800 .not worth it or dont lift it and put in 700r trans then stay stock tires then you can pull alright . well if you really want to spend money try differnt gears . or the overdrive unit with stock tires .my dad has a unit the gearvenders only dropped rpm like 6-700 would take long time to make money back . he only gained like 1-1.5 mpg.

lotero

the gear ratio in those pigs should be 4.56 right? if thats the case you should be able to turn a 37 fine, i think splitting gears is going to be your best option because you could have all the power in the world, but if you run out of rpm your not getting anywhere any quicker. i also agree with the above that you may want to consider if your money is better spent putting the price of the GV towards another vehicle. i have never been one to recommend to other people how to spend their own money so do what makes you happy..

juspar

I do see your piont. It is a lot of money to sink into a old truck.

I dont mined putting some money in it if it will do the job. I only have $1600 as it sits with 44,000 miles. Its rust free and everything is working know that i fixed some elecrical stuff.

I will not be useing it all that much and the longest i plain on taking it is 4 hours away. The convoy i go with runs 65 to 70 i would like to keep up with them.
This truck is kinda a toy and something for me to have fun with and work on.

I cant really go buy a 4x4 one ton turbo deisel truck in as good condition and as low miles for less then 9 to 10 thousand. More then likely it would need tires and other things fixed for that price anyway. I did look around and most the deisels in that price range were very hi miles and or very rusty.
I think for around $3500 in parts it would be a pretty bad m1008, and not a early 2001, 2002 3/4 with 150000 miles on it but thats just me.

But thanks for the input

Last edited:

Chief_919

I would shop around for a used 6.5 turbo setup. One from a 90's 6.5 will work with just a bit of fitting, and if you shop around you can put it all together pretty darn cheap.

86M10086.2L

Tires are not going to make that much of a difference. I have 36's and it only netted me about 400 rpms. The only benefit I see is that now I can do 55 at what use to be about 50 with the original tires. I can do 60 at what would have been 55 with the stock tires, but with the larger tires the truck doesn't really like it. It's hard if you would believe it to keep that speed up. Not to mention the increased racket the engine makes. You will loose a litle power on the hills even with the 4.56's. I've had people tell me more than once that you can take these engines up to the govenor all day long and be fine. I think they're nuts. At some point if I can't find a decent 3/4 or 1 ton civilian truck to tow mine with or I find a M151 or M38 to tow with my truck I'll go the gear vendors route or re-gear the truck. I love my truck and would leave it as it is, but taking it on long trips can be a pain, and relying on your wheeling truck to get you 700+ miles home can be a bit un-nerving.

69dieselfreak

:oops: NEGATIVE GHOST RIDER!

if your going to swap, swap a cummins in...

+1 on that idea
thats what im going to do with my ferd some day and thas going to be my tow rig

put your moeny into the your truck you have now
think of it this way new truck new problems and you might have payments on top of that
personally i like trucks that are payed off