• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinion Needed on M1031

CUCVFANATIC

Hello All.

I come seeking the opinion of the SS veterans. I've finally decided to pull the trigger on a CUCV, particularly a 1984 M1031. The seller wants 4k for it and will deliver it if needed. What i need from you guys if you care to chime in, is that a decent price considering what i listed below.

1. The 6.2L fired straight up, left it running, no heat issues and no smoke from the exhaust. Has 65k miles on it.
  2. The box is complete with a few extra doors. Only the generator and compressor tank is left, the rest of the items have been parted out. Generator runs and has 111 hours.
  3. The left door has been replaced yet it wasn't primered and hence the surface rust. Easily rubbed off.
  4. No rust on the frame, axles.
  5. The slave unit is missing and a few light covers on the box itself are missing their lenses.
  6. Stock wheels replaced.
  7. Left front brake caliper needs to be replaced.
  8. No doghead relay.

The vehicle is titled so no SPF form to deal with. The owner also has a M1008 and deuce which by the look of them, he likes to ride them hard and enjoys his toys. The M1031 he doesn't use as it doesn't tickle his fancy and he just runs it occasionally to keep the fluids moving.

Let me know what you all think. Feel free to PM or just answer here. I will try answer all questions.

Attachments

Last edited:

dstang97

1031s have been bringing in a lot of money. If it is rust free it sounds like a decent deal. Try to knock him down. Parts are a dime a dozen for those trucks. so the missing stuff is easy to find.

Keith_J

4k is steep for that condition, even with the aluminum wheels. Good tires are more important than aluminum wheels.

I would replace that missing compressor with a home-built special, I can find a 2 Hp 208 volt motor for $185, a belt drive 6 CFM compressor is another $100. If the switch is still there along with the contactor, you would be set. Of course that would be a stock compressor, something larger would be better but you would need larger storage tank.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little unusual for it to be a 1984. All the M1031's with that SECM body are 1986's and such. Since you say the generator runs, I will assume it has the 205 transfer case. Asking price is what these bring on GL.

wayne pick

There are 7 M1031s up for auction on ************ as we speak. Historically, 1031s have less than 25k miles on them by the time they hit the auction block. Most i've seen are super clean an seem to have been taken care of a little better than most CUCVs. IMHO, 4K is below average for an M1031. Do a search for 1031s for sale, you will find they go for between $3500 and $6000+.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skinny

I paid $6k for mine which was mint condition. Meaning everything there, absolutely no rust, solid rig. Don't get me wrong, it still needed so much maintenance but all the big ticket items were there. I think I could have maybe gotten a slightly better deal or price, I never looked back at spending the extra dough.

I'd say just from seeing it (looks alittle rough), $3k to $4k if the genny spins up and the governor functions.

For the way mine sits right now, I wouldn't take a penny less than $10k for it. Steep but it's turnkey with a functioning genny and compressor. Plus it has a new IP, lift, tires, etc. Steep but that is where I would stand.

dependable

$4 k seems reasonable to me if it is nearby and nearly complete. If you buy at auction you will have to deal with some uncertainties, transport costs, waiting and probably a new driveshaft.

wayne pick

I also paid $6k for mine, bought it site unseen and I think I got a decent deal. The truck was also mint, with adsolutely no rust anywhere, it looked like it came out of a time capsule. It came with a one year old Banks turbo, 700R4 conversion, 285 hankook tires and a brand new diamond plate flatbed with LED turn, tail and marker lights. I have no real use for the SECM body as at my age the days of doing heavy repair on equipment are over me.

leeh725

I saw this exact truck on Craigslist in Spring, TX. I would say it is a little on the high side for its condition. I paid way less than that for mine, which was in substantially better condition. I think he's got it listed for $4500. So you must have worked him down a little. If it were a little more original, I'd go for it.

My advice: whittle away on that price a little more OR make up for the higher price in the freight.

bshupe

I paid 5K for mine with 26k miles in pretty great condition and all systems present and functioning and barely double digits on the generator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks