• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions?170 int. in deuce

AndrewH

Anyone out there have anything to say about the Navistar C170 inline 6 cly engines? Local Cummins service guy has one he doesn't want (International-vs-cummins?) Anyways, I know they are used in school busses, anyone like or dislike these? Would it have any deuce potential? Andrew

poof

Dirty Hippie
experiences,
say this is in the wrong forum.....
try the one below "
Deuce Modification and Hot-Rodding
Use this forum to discuss making your deuce faster, larger, better off-roader, shorter, etc...

Opinions... say , Your Title stinks.

story has it that this forun you have posted on is for The Deuce (7 Viewing)
M35, M35A1, M35A2, M35A2C, etc... Topics restricted to restoration, repairs, and other stock truck issues

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
little harsh poof. thread moved and title changed.
I am not familiar with that motor, hopefully someone will chime in.

AndrewH

My bad.

Thanks for helping me out. My bad, I put it in the wrong place. Thanks Stretch. Poof, sorry for making you spend your valuable time to post a reply. -Andrew

armytruck63

What is the upper RPM limit of the Navistar engine? A stock deuce engine can turn at 2600 RPM under load, so it would be nice if the Navistar engine can turn at least that fast.

dittle

Tried to find something in the RPM department, but no luck finding red line rating. Biggest issue you are going to have is:

1. Bolting tranny to it (hopefully it has an adapter plate available)
2. If its electronic controled that will be to get working

jatonka

The Dt 360 is rated from 170 to at lesast 195 horse power. dependable, easy to get service parts for. The bell housings are all SAE. I expect to use a 195 hp ST 360 with it's Allison Auto behind it in my next Deuce 4x4 conversion. The DT will run all day at 2850 rpm. Put bigger tires on and you will come close to normal deuce 56 mph speed with Direct drive allison auto. And, the overall length of engine transmission combo is shorter than multifuel 5 speed spicer combo. Check to starter location, and engine water inlet/outlet locations. Anything can be done, but it helps if things somewhat line up. Unless, if you're young, just go for it, make it happen. JT out

Trango

Hey Jatonka, I know of a mechanical 8.3 with Allison trans in Ohio for $4000.... I would have grabbed it had I basically not found an amazing truck trade deal with an old friend here in Colorado. PM me if you want the details.

AndrewH

Ok, I have the engine now. It is a C170, Rated 170 hp at 2700 rpm. I have an Allison AT 575 for it. ANt input on the Allison? I have the Allison in my chevy one ton and it is a great trans. Not the same unit but it has a reputable name to it. I have been looking in the internet for info on the C170. Does it have a common name? Thanks. Andrew

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be a data tag on the V/C. It should tell you an engine model, rated RPM and HP.

tm america

hmm at 575 are you sure it wasnt 545 those are a pretty common trans used in everything from busses to the m35a3 and many others it is a pretty good trans although 2700 with a dirrect drive you will have to run 15.5s or 395s to see top speeds of 56.i dont think it is worth the work to switch that motor in place of a 2600rpm motor that can be turned up to 170 hp pretty easiley. the trans swap would be nice if you want to go to a auto. .but then there will be alot of work in swapping the pto winch to a hydro winch and other things like the shifter and trans cooler and lines.also i'm not sure if those trans use a modulator or a cable . so you have to think about all that .

AndrewH

Your right it is a at545. I do not currently have plan for the engine and trans. But I think It can sit around and be a spare if the ldt blows up!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks