• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions everyone

epartsman

Where can I find some clear instructions on doing this, I have searched and seems all the posts I find are just people stating that they have done this etc, can't seem to find a post that actually gives instructions on how to do it.

I'm curious why GM engineers didn't just run straight 12 volts to the GP if that is what the require, the whole step down resistors seem like extra unnecessary garbage??
Simple, remove resistor, remove both leads from resistor, connect together using small bolt and nut through small eyelets, insulate, and reattach to GP relay then attach the other end to the 12V buss bar right next to the relay which is a black diamond shaped 2 terminal bar. Viola! No more premature GP melt down from faulty resistor or having 1 bad plug causing cascade failure of the others. GP system is already 12V. Doing this you still keep the original fusible link.

SteveSkal

I just finished doing all the reading I could find on the resistor bypass and plan on doing that this weekend, one question I still do have about it is it seems everyone says they changed their GP's to AC60 right after doing this mod, why is that? Is this needed with the mod? The previous owner had put Beru GP's in just before he sold it to me, don't know much about them.

My stance is always modify. I have modified every vehicle I have owned and will keep doing so. That is what makes the vehicle yours. My wife hates and loves it at the same time. Hates the fact that I do it loves it when I get it done and finds out how useful it is.

rhinob

It's your truck, do what you want. As a purist, I'd keep it bone stock. One day you might appreciate the simplicity and reliability. If you want a Blazer with all the trimmings, just buy the other Blazer and repair it. Probably less work in the long run and you have another asset to sell if you wish.

robert c neth

Banned
ive owned so many military trucks over the last 40 years i lost count.i didnt hack any up but i modded them to fit my needs .never had any trouble selling any for a fair price.seems like a lot of buyers enjoy making them right if there not cut up or mutilated.

Nacademus

The allure of my M1008 is its robustness and simplicity. Everything you need, and nothing you don't. Its YOUR truck, do whatever the heck you want. If you like amenities, add them. I personally wouldn't... I don't like messing with dodgy electronics.

rickf

Do what I was going to do till mine decided to go south on me. Do a body swap complete. Her body on your frame (kinda sounds perverted LOL). Carc the interior, pull the data plates and the vin plate off of yours, rivet them on the new body, run 2 separate fuse panels, get the compressor kit and hoses from nostalgic air, and carc the outside. Your value will go up.
THAT will get you thrown in jail if you get caught!!!!! You cannot swap VIN plates. They are held on with special star rivets only available to the manufacturer so it will be obvious that it was changed. The body vin will no longer match the frame vin and there will be a lot of explaining to do.

Why not just fix the civvie blazer? From the sounds of it all it needs is a motor.

Rick

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CUCV is all 12V except the starting and charging circuits that do make provision for 12V at the firewall. Instead of the thin gauge feed wire coming off of the rear battery a thicker cable can be used with a lug style 175 amp main fuse and a beefier distribution block. Even the trailer wiring is 12V. Any 24V coming inside was for Military radios, Stce connector etc so it would not be hard to accomplish. As for load the power accessories do not run ie: you are not constantly locking doors or rolling up windows etc. Many people have added AC with no adverse effects and it is adviseable to swap your GP system to 12V.
Thanks for the briefing on the CUCV's electrical stuff.
My CUCV knowldege is limited since our "specialty" is a Deuce.

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks