• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions on 6.5TD Choice

Wetbehindears

Hey Everyone,

So, I dont know if I came across a deal or a pile of headaches, and wanted to run it past everyone. Im helping my son build-up (maintain) a 1985 M1009. Its a good running truck (48K).

I have a friend with a 96 1-ton 6.5TD and hes decided to turn it into a toy (12V Cummins). Soooo... he told me... Hey if you want this 6.5... $500.00 and its yours. Complete engine including crossover pipe. (201K on this Motor!)
Like most 6.2L owners, I have toyed around with the idea of adding a turbo IF the deal was good enough.
Soooo I could either.
A: Use the 6.5TD parts to Turbo the 6.2L
B: Pull the 6.2 and install 6.5

Being such a higher mileage engine makes me want to just use parts off the 6.5?

I have read up on all the 6.5 Turbo swap, and from my understanding this would be everything I need other than the Wastegate, EGT, Boost gauge.

I have read about people using the IP and Heads off the 6.5L?

Soo...You guys that have done this, how much would you swap onto the 6.2L? Most of the posts I read about this is people piecing together Turbo swaps, or just changing the heads, or just using the IP.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'd use the turbo setup from the 6.5 on the 6.2. Eliminates the PMD setup of the newer engine. Plus why would you bother putting in a 200K mile engine when you've already got a 48K in there? You'll want to put a turbomaster on the turbo (spring wastegate). You'll also have to play around with the exhaust to make it work. (Crossover pipe and downpipe) Keep the boost under 10psi and you'll be fine on the 6.2.

chevyCUCV

Welcome to the site

I say buy it. Its a good enough price that you can get your money back easily if you decide not to follow through.

And i would pull your oil pan and inspect for cracks in the mains. If it is clean then it is safe(er?) to turbo it.

Wetbehindears

Ok.... I think im going to go for it, and just transfer parts off of the 6.5L over to the 6.2L. Im researching now, but is there an advantage to running the 6.5L heads over the 6.2L heads?
Being that im going to pick up the complete motor, im basically researching what I can swap over to gain durability/performance advantage....as I will sell off whats unused.

Wetbehindears

Well.....I couldnt pass up the deal so we picked her up yesterday and shes now safely in the garage. 96 6.5 complete minus the alt. PO wanted to keep the alt for another truck he was working on. I will start a build thread once we start this (~2weeks) we still have to get the Transmission and Transfer bolted back up under this truck. In fact..im going to wake the child up right now and we are getting to work!

Attachments

chevyCUCV

Nice buy, if you can keep that engine in storage do it. One will never know when they need a spare.

I would turbo the 6.2 with all necessary parts. However the 6.5 turbo is tiny, the engine can use a much less restrictive turbo esp for low boost.