• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions on new radiator

tequilaiam

Looks like my radiator is done and I'm looking at new ones.

I was contemplating the need for a water-cooled oil cooler line. Does the OEM setup offer any advantage compared with an external air-cooled oil cooler? I have a manual tranny now so no need for the tranny cooler part.

Anyone know of a cheap radiator that would match the various coolant in/out ports as the OE one but without the two sets of oil lines? I was hoping to use the savings to get an external oil cooler setup and give me an excuse to ditch the rubber and crimped oil cooler lines when I drain everything.

llong66

Hi, have you looked into having a shop rebuild your current one? I havent had to look but I believe replacements are pretty salty! Or is yours to far gone/damaged for that? I see your not far from me, Kokomo here and there are some threads on here about how in colder climates like we have in winter, the stock setup can be a good thing in helping to get the tranny up to operating temp, to cold is not good for them either.

MarcusOReallyus

in colder climates like we have in winter, the stock setup can be a good thing in helping to get the tranny up to operating temp, to cold is not good for them either.

Yep. In the stock setup, you really have a transmission WARMER and cooler. Both functions are there, and needed for optimal results. Same reason we have a thermostat - machinery works better when it's at the Goldilocks temperature - not too hot, and not too cold.

tequilaiam

Are you talking tranny fluid or engine oil?
My TH400 died and I replaced it with a Muncie 4 speed. So I need to retain the engine oil cooling but not the tranny.

Just a consideration because one can order a champion welded aluminum radiator for less than $200 that has ports for a transmission (but should work for engine oil). An external oil cooler by tru-cool off ebay for less than $100. Fittings and new oil cooler rubber lines maybe an extra $100 if I stuck to generic hydraulic hose. But there's a good chance I could just use the champion rad as is.

I haven't priced out a radiator shop yet but I have a hard time believing they could rebuild a core for $300 or so. Even if they did how long would the rest hold up?

I'm going to try and resolder one more joint on my rad to get it back into a slow-leak condition before I throw in the towel on it. I was just wondering if there's any real advantage or disadvantage to sticking with water cooling the oil instead of air cooling it. I guess I should ask the same thing about brass vs. aluminum but for as low as the HP is on these things the actual cooling capacity between the two types seems negligible.

Skinny

I think isolation of the engine oil and trans oil circuits is good because you no longer run the risk of contaminating anything if the internal circuits fail. When you get into extreme climates, you definitely benefit by keeping the oil at the correct operating temperature. I couldn't imagine the transmission would be happy with a stand alone oversized RV cooler way up north in the dead of winter. If everything is integrated, it comes up to temp the same time the coolant and engine oil does. All of this aided by a block heater and grille cover. I personally will be adding a trans cooler soon (have the part, don't have the time) and will be installing it in series first in line.

I also just drove a pretty well freighted M1031 from ME to NC a few weeks ago and it was hot. Happy to report that the ol' 6.2 never crept above 195 degrees under any condition with what appears to be the stock sized original radiator.

Untersee

I got the all aluminum radiator today, looks like nice product. I started the install, all the lines and hoses went on easily. Unfortunately, when I put the the radiator tie down brackets on I realized the radiator is about a 1/2" to short. I'm using new rubber radiator mounts, and I added some rubber hose top and bottom of the rubber mounts. I could make it work like that but I don't think I like the fact that it doesn't fit correctly. The other issue is the fan shroud sits off of radiator tanks about a 1/2", which at idle on a hot day I think you would lose some air volume because it not a tight fit. Any thoughts?

Gonzomatic

I think it cost me around 450 for mine. Brass, 5 core, all the fittings for engine and trans oil and fit perfectly. Got it online from wherever, but it replaced a 3 core that was in there and has been cooling great ever since. Just be really careful attaching the engine oil lines. Because they are hardline at the end they can go in the way they want to as opposed to the way you want them to. If you need the re tap the threads, I have said tap. Guess why.

shiner13

I got the all aluminum radiator today, looks like nice product. I started the install, all the lines and hoses went on easily. Unfortunately, when I put the the radiator tie down brackets on I realized the radiator is about a 1/2" to short. I'm using new rubber radiator mounts, and I added some rubber hose top and bottom of the rubber mounts. I could make it work like that but I don't think I like the fact that it doesn't fit correctly. The other issue is the fan shroud sits off of radiator tanks about a 1/2", which at idle on a hot day I think you would lose some air volume because it not a tight fit. Any thoughts?
Hey Untersee, I know this was a year ago now, but I was wondering how you solved this issue. I just ran into the exact same problem you described. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm sure others have had this issue since the CU850 (Spectre Alum Radiator) seems to be one of the most common radiators guys have been using. Luckily the oil/trans lines threaded right in, but even with new mounts the radiator is too loose.

Untersee

Im not sure the gap really matters, but I got rubber door seal from parts house( has adhesive on one side) and used that to seal gap. I've done 2 trucks like that, no problems.

Haoleb

Hey Untersee, I know this was a year ago now, but I was wondering how you solved this issue. I just ran into the exact same problem you described. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm sure others have had this issue since the CU850 (Spectre Alum Radiator) seems to be one of the most common radiators guys have been using. Luckily the oil/trans lines threaded right in, but even with new mounts the radiator is too loose.
I just installed this radiator a couple weeks ago and had this issue. I ended up putting a piece of some stiff foam on the top and bottom mounts to fill the gap. After driving a couple days I had to add a second piece to the top because the foam crushed down with the weight and heat. Seems to be working fine though!

shiner13

Thanks for the responses guys. With the amount of time I'm offroad, I wanted it to be snug so vibration didn't eventually cause damage. The rubber door seal is a great idea, I'll try that. I may try the APDI radiator next time. Guess I was just suspicious bc of the much lower price on eBay.

cucvrus

Hmmm. Did you mean ROCKAUTO.COM ?

They have great prices, and all is well until you have a problem.

Then you have a problem. Even if it's their fault, you have a problem.
That is how most internet sales go. You are just a number. i like face to face first name basis parts sales. I always shop for the best price and warranty. I don't care if the parts are made in Timbuktu. If they fit and work that's the part for me. I can tell if something is cheesy on parts just by looking at it. If they are going to warranty the semi cheesy Chinese part I am game. I have used hundreds/thousands of Autozone parts on hundreds of vehicles and not had much issue. And if I did they were straight and tall on replacing or refunding with no problems. And the perks are great. The other day I had enough loyalty points that I bought a 5 gallon pail of 15 W 40 Rotellla T 2 1218 AC oil filters and 2 air filters for $7.
Can not beat that deal. Take care and have a good holiday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks