• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions on Oil Pump Needed

Zeus51

Opinions on Oil Pump Change Needed

I have an 1986 CUCV K30 6.2 diesel. I am changing the rear main seal and oil pan seal this Friday. The question is: Do I change a working old oil pump while I'm there? Or does the motto, if it ain't broke don't fix it apply? Let's hear any comments, opinions and/or experiences!

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

I wouldn't bother the oil pump unless you have some type of symptom.
They give very little trouble.

If you do decide to change, go with a High volume pump as opposed to high pressure.
Tom

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going in that deep anyway, it would be silly not to change the oil pump. They are cheap and you have already done 95% of the work you will have to do if the pump starts failing.

cucvrus

I never change the oil pump. If I have good oil pressure before the seal change. I will have good oil pressure after the seal is changed. Oil pumps do NOT create oil pressure. The clearances and tolerances of the engine bearings is what creates oil pressure. But a strong oil pump will still wash by worn bearings. I had a 2001 6.0 gas Chevy plow truck. I spent the time to change the oil pump. Never increased the oil pressure. The 6.0 is just a bad engine. The 6.2 diesel a very dependable engine. And the rear main seal is probably a rope seal. It was bound to fail. It sat and rusted fast to the crank shaft and then got bunched up in the main bearing cap. I have seen it 100+ times. I never changed an oil pump when changing a rear main seal. You have the right motto. If it ain't broke don't fix it. And I don't fix things on the cheap. I fix things to stay running. Good Luck.

Barrman

As posted above. The 6.2 oil pump really doesn't fail. Yes, anything mechanical can break and this is not a "yours will never break, leave it alone" post. They are not costly so if you want, go for it.

As much as everyone mentions how bad the 6.2 crankshaft is. They really just don't wear any as long as the engine has oil. Unlike your favorite gasoline engine from the past or present.

snowtrac nome

A high volume oil pump will improve oil pressure on a worn engine. The reality is that the gear type pump a 6.2 engine has will seldom ever wear out. if it were mine I would clean up the screen and leave it alone. Be advised that thick oil in the cold can cause the drive rod to break or the gear in the vacuum pump to fail. when doing the install don't forget to properly prime the pump or it wont pick up your new oil.

cucvrus

I have never primed the pump. Other then disconnecting the 12v wire from the injection pump and cranking over the engine a bit. Seems to have worked out well for me. If you crank it the oil light will go off. I was told that if the oil light stays off a bit afterwards while not cranking that shows good tight bearings. It makes sense and I favor that theory. So it may be an opinion and have a hundred explanations but I am comfortable with my method. I only ever blew up 1 6.2 in the past 30 years. That was 20 miles after buying it at DRMO and doing about 65MPH towing another CUCV on a tow bar. Ended up being a broken crankshaft. New crank shaft and ran it for many years after that. Died of north east salt spreader disease. It is very contagious up here. Have a 2001 HD 2500 that succumbed to the same sickness. Failed oil pump and salt disease. Good Luck. Report back. I think you have it bagged.

My old man uses an old metal gas tank off a roto tiller. Put a pipe thread fitting into the oil pressure sender location that has a hose barb on the end. Stick a rubber hose from the tank outlet to it. Take to cap of the rototiller tank and make it to fit what ever sort of blow gun you have. Put a couple quarts of your good oil in the tank and keep some pressure on it untill you've pushed all the oil in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks