• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions on value of this bobbed Deuce

dirtyfingernails

I can't fit a whole duece in my drive, but a bobbed duece would work. I found this one (http://m715zone.proboards102.com/index.cgi?board=sale&action=display&thread=1159882483) and was wondering if you all thought it was worth $8500. It's sprag engaged and non-Turbo as I understand. He also has a locker in the rear diff which seems like a lot of strain on such a heavy vehicle. Anyway, it looks pretty good and has nice rubber. I'm a novice with these trucks, but I know enough from reading posts here, that I should want an airshift and turbo C engine. Thanks for any advice.
DFN

devilman96

RE: Opinions on value of this bobbed duece

I think its incredibly hard to put a price on some vehicles... a bobbed deuce being one of them... There are some that commonly sell for $2,500 and some that sell for over $20K... The question boils down to is the vehicle and its use worth it to you in the end?

CGarbee

I can't say if it is worth that much in the sense that YOU have to figure out if having a vehicle like that is worth that to YOU... I can say that I have seen this truck in person (in action offroad on some real nasty trails in the Uwharrie National Forest OHV area) and it is nicer looking in person than in the photos. That truck went everywhere my Cummins powered M37 (with lockers front and rear) went only having to be winched twice, and each time was due to the sprague not engaging (and the seller is including an air shift axle in the deal, so that would not be a problem anymore)... Fit and finish on the truck looked to be first class.

If you consider that it was blasted and painted, has brand new Michelins, and add in the man's time, the asking price sounds reasonable for what he has invested to me, but I'm not the one in the market for a new rig ... :)

And, FWIW: The trip to the Uwharrie was the first time that I have met the seller and he did provide me with one mighty fine breakfast upon my arrival, so you might want to consider me slightly biased... I know a few other folks who have delt with him and everyone has had very positive transactions...

Good luck in your decision.

Towman2277

In my Opinion, it is worth $8500.00 as it sits, and especially since it comes with an airshift transfer case. But, as eberyone has said, is it worth it to you?? Would you have the funds to first buy a duece, strip it down, chop off the rear section and fab up the bed, tidy up the drive line, brakes, wiring, etc....then re-paint the whole thing, add new rubber, and still have time to do your day to day activities so it would'nt be a two-year process?????
If I was retired, i'd take on the task..... since i'm not, i'd buy the bobbed and enjoy it now!!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

I am not about to appraise another man's vehicle - but I will say its sounds like it needs to have its sprag adjusted - which is a heck of a lot easier than replacing the transfer case.

And, I have literally dozens of pages of test documents on the sprag vs air shift from Aberdeen Proving Ground and Reo Motors that indicate a properly adjusted sprag unit is just as effective as an air shift. According to these documents, there were only two reasons for the adoption of the air shift - one reason was no adjustment meant lower maintenance time, the other was the personal preference of a particular officer.

David Doyle - who has deuces with both, and the only one I've been had the air-shift.

sermis

Never had dealings with him but from the posts I have read and feed back others have posted go for it. I am going to build my own truck, from the investment I now have in it and what I willl spend I would buy it.

Blythewoodjoe

OK guys, help me out here. I have seen these puppies sell for big money and I can't understand why. I have one I will probably sell in a few months if I find something else I need. I took a running deuce with a new bed. Removed the new bed. I did the modifications with a set of front springs and hangers from a parts truck. The truck had been singled out so the axle was good for 4 wheel drive. Now it has 4 tires instead of 10. 10 tires are more expensive than 4. I have one good rear axle to boot. We have a M101 bed on the back with is cheaper than the new M35 bed. I think I will put a custom made flat bed on the back if I have time to make it.

So here's the question. Why can I take a $3000 deuce, chop it off and have more parts left than I use for the modification and make it worth double? Am I missing something here? Should I quite my day job and start building short deuces?

Not trying to rain on anybodies parade here, like I said I will probably sell mine so big money is good. Just wondering if I am missing something here.

Joe Trapp
Assassin of Joy

Flatlander

It's worth more because of labor, and demand...It's worth whatever someone will pay for it. That's the beauty of the market!:)

BigWheelBob

Dont forget, the new tires and tubes, the new detroit locker, sandblasting and CARC paint, the new seat material, and covers, the New driveshaft tubing with balancing,and whatever misc there might be. And by the way, My time is free!
UPDATE!

Thought I would run down this list just because apparantly some people think there must be a bunch of profit to be made from building these trucks. I dont do it just for the profit, I do it because I enjoy it, and these military trucks are a little different than I have to deal with day to day.

1. Cost of truck in good running condition............................$3000
2. Cost of a decent 105 trailor, not including time, and fuel
to go get it.............................................................$450
3. 6 brand new 11.00x20 Mich. XL's, delivered.......................$900
4. New Detroit Locker for the rear......................................$400
5. Seats re stuffed, and covered in tan vinyl......................... $250
6. 6 new 11.00x20 radial tubes..........................................$150
7. 2 gals. stripeze paint stripper, box of razor blades................$56
8. Misc sand paper, scuff pads, etc.....................................$65
9. Sand blast outside of cab, and outer frame rails, ( after I got
tired of stripping, and sanding), apply hagh quality
primer-sealer............................................................$350
10. Paint, body finished, and painted by a local company who has
gubment contracts here, painted with Carc paint inside, and
out. Frame, and underside painted black.........................$1225
11. set of used front spring hangers, with springs, but I used
the springs from the trailor, they were in like new shape......$100
12. Mount the 6 new tires, with a spare=7, supplied new flaps...$185
13. retube driveshaft, balance.........................................$120
14. misc bolts, hardware, and fittings to assemble this project
This is just a good guess, ..........................................$60
15. 2 new batterys......................................................$130
16. New brake hose, and misc lines for the rear.....................$35
______
If my math is correct this equals $7476.00

So, I guess what I am trying to say is there is not as much profit here as you might think. Of course, you could cut a few corners, and maybe get a few things a little cheaper, but we all know, you usally get what you pay for. And I didnt get carried away with this truck tl all putting it together as far as money. I could have spent a helluva lot more, and made it nicer yet. And this aint counting things like drill bits, lubes, silicone brake fluid, and about 40 hours of my labor. Damn good thing it ran good when I got it, I would have more in it, and I would have to pay someone to take it.

Blythewoodjoe

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the truck in question is not worth the asking price. I am of the belief that a "bob" deuce and a regular truck in the same shape shouldn't be too far apart in price. Tires and paint jobs add to the value of anything. Most of the stuff you mention would add to the value of any truck.

While on the subject of the "bob", do you find it to be more practical than a regular M35? I have found mine steers much easier and if I get around to putting a cover on the back it should be a nice little cargo truck.

Joe Trapp

devilman96

If I listed mine out in $ like that I would prolly faint... I don't even wanna know what I am spending on it but it would take at least 4X the amount BWB is asking to even get my attention to start haggling about a price.

Some would scoff at money like that for a Deuce... Others would run for a bank check if I ever did decide to unload it...

Like I said before these trucks are an oddity... It all depends what a person wants and how bad they want it.

BigWheelBob

Re: RE: Opinions on value of this bobbed duece

BigWheelBob said:
Dont forget, the new tires and tubes, the new detroit locker, sandblasting and CARC paint, the new seat material, and covers, the New driveshaft tubing with balancing,and whatever misc there might be. And by the way, My time is free!
UPDATE!

Thought I would run down this list just because apparantly some people think there must be a bunch of profit to be made from building these trucks. I dont do it just for the profit, I do it because I enjoy it, and these military trucks are a little different than I have to deal with day to day.

1. Cost of truck in good running condition............................$3000
2. Cost of a decent 105 trailor, not including time, and fuel
to go get it.............................................................$450
3. 6 brand new 11.00x20 Mich. XL's, delivered.......................$900
4. New Detroit Locker for the rear......................................$400
5. Seats re stuffed, and covered in tan vinyl......................... $250
6. 6 new 11.00x20 radial tubes..........................................$150
7. 2 gals. stripeze paint stripper, box of razor blades................$56
8. Misc sand paper, scuff pads, etc.....................................$65
9. Sand blast outside of cab, and outer frame rails, ( after I got
tired of stripping, and sanding), apply hagh quality
primer-sealer............................................................$350
10. Paint, body finished, and painted by a local company who has
gubment contracts here, painted with Carc paint inside, and
out. Frame, and underside painted black.........................$1225
11. set of used front spring hangers, with springs, but I used
the springs from the trailor, they were in like new shape......$100
12. Mount the 6 new tires, with a spare=7, supplied new flaps...$185
13. retube driveshaft, balance.........................................$120
14. misc bolts, hardware, and fittings to assemble this project
This is just a good guess, ..........................................$60
15. 2 new batterys......................................................$130
16. New brake hose, and misc lines for the rear.....................$35
______
If my math is correct this equals $7476.00

So, I guess what I am trying to say is there is not as much profit here as you might think. Of course, you could cut a few corners, and maybe get a few things a little cheaper, but we all know, you usally get what you pay for. And I didnt get carried away with this truck tl all putting it together as far as money. I could have spent a helluva lot more, and made it nicer yet. And this aint counting things like drill bits, lubes, silicone brake fluid, and about 40 hours of my labor. Damn good thing it ran good when I got it, I would have more in it, and I would have to pay someone to take it.
After all this, this guy" dirtyfingernails" has balls enough to email me and tell me I am over priced. Man. aint no wonder I dont even like people!

devilman96

RE: Re: RE: Opinions on value of this bobbed duece

Well... Its like this... it was not worth it to him...

When he goes and buys a shop... a deuce... tools... equipment... gains the required mechanical aptitude... figures out how to do the job... craps the time out required to do the build... and forks over the cash to purchase / perform the list above THEN maybe he will understand your price...

Then again if he were to talk to The Deuce Butcher (John) about some of his 20K+ bob jobs he would prolly feel fairly bad about passing it up...

Not my style but ya got a good lookin truck there.

BigWheelBob

I appreciate that, I know it aint a perfect one, but I know you could have a lot of fun with it, and not worry about scratching it.

jatonka

The price sounded very reasonable to me, I have experience building the shortened deuces and I don't think you left any room for your own time in the price. I really love the M series trucks, I appreciate their simplicity and parts interchangeability and that special look, but when I build something expecting to sell it , I would want to be paid for my time. DFN may have been trying to push your buttons. John Tennis

FrankUSMC

I have bought a truck from BigWheelBob, he is a great guy, and I can tell you this. I have been collecting military trucks for over 25 years, this MUST be a hobby for Bob, because I still can not see were he made a dime off the truck he sold me.
If the Bride and I were not building our dream house this year, I would be after that bobbed deuce!
One of the few, Frank

jasonjc

Bob that IS a great looking truck and if I were you there is no way I'd sell for less than you are asking.And if I were building it for someone it would HAVE to be a lot more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks