• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions wanted regarding 3208 CAT

DMgunn

Hello people.

I have found a couple 3208s that I can obtain (cheap) if needed, and wonder about their suitability for a 5-ton. I am planning ahead for a re-power if I am unhappy with the performance/mileage/condition of the mighty 602.

Will do some Googling, but thought you guys would be the best place to start. The only feedback I have so far is from a friend who's opinion I value. He says he will not own another one. Is he alone in this opinion?

Thanks guys in advance.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 2 people here with 3208 powered deuces. Trango and Spicergear. Both could provide insight on how the smaller deuce does with the 3208. Spicergear has been quite scarce lately though!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Spicergear has been quite scarce lately though!
yeah, he's probably still out in the barn trying to figure out how to make the trailer a powered unit........

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He did stop by in early January I guess it was. We talked for an hour. I tolld him to get his butt back online with us. He's got bunches of stuff to do to the crane, trailer and Velvet.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Have you realized Low-tech Redneck has been gone for about 6 months as well? it's weird when people drop off the face of the Earth...............

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm, that is odd. Wonder what happened to those guys. Somebody needs to shoot 'em an email or something.

As for the 3208, I have heard a lot of complaints about it on this and other sites. Most related to the high cost of upkeep and parts. Also, the special tools and procedures needed to replace parts.

That being said, if you had a "low" mile take-out motor, you may not have too much trouble with it since your 5-ton will never rack up the kind of miles that a commercial truck will.

sermis

I drove a Kenworth part time for a friend in a construction company pulling an end dump gravel trailer for about 7 or 8 years. It had a 3208 Cat and we never had a problem with it. Other drivers had problems twisting driveshafts. His maintance on vehicle is not verry good. Might have just been that motor but I would rather drive that truck than the Macks he has.

carguy455

My cousin used to run 3208's in his dumptrucks and headgaskets seemed to be his nemesis. At one of my old jobs in the past I delivered replacement engines for CAT, and it seemed the 3208 was the one I delivered the most of. Everyone I ever talked to refered to them as the "throwaway" engine, I did have occasion to operate one for a few weeks and I did not have a problem with the power or operation, but I was not maintaining it either.

m139h2otruck

Company I used to work for had one in a big DynaPac roller and the son had a Cat 225 hoe with one. Very smokey on startup due to the use of two ring pistons (in the case of the roller). Only 150+hp in the roller and I think 200 or so hp in the 225. Very compact engine without the turbo. NO SLEEVES!! like a 5.9 Cummins. Most of the complaints I have heard of for truck applications are lack of power, poor fuel economy and noise.

Jimmy

I have had a single axle dump with a 3208 in it for 500k plus miles and no trouble at all. It has been a great engine. The only thing that went wrong was an injector pump last year. I would recomend it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I like CAT engines, especially in big rigs.
I drove a Pete with the 3406 and it pulled and ran great.
I did not own the truck and was glad of it.
CAT is real proud of their spare parts and labor if you have it repaired at a dealer. We refered to the local CAT repair shop as the "CATHOUSE" because when you took something there for repair you knew somebody was going to get screwed.
My boss traded them when they hit 500k miles so he would never have to pay to rebuild one.
A 60 Series Detroit is just a CAT painted green and runs just as good.
Just MHO.

Blythewoodjoe

Throw away engine is a good one. We used to have a lot of them and as long as they worked they worked fine but they are not long term engines. When you ware them out, throw them away. Not good for rebuilding. We are Cummins people with more Volvo stuff now than anything else.

Joe Trapp

littlebob

20 Years ago (dam I'm gettin old) I worked at place that had a few F700's with them. They were 165hp model and The only thing I remember having an issue with was the starters. I've noticed over the years that there are a lot of variations of this motor, some for marine use. There also seems to be a wide range of horspower options, this may explain why some survive and some don't.
littlebob

DMgunn

Thank you for all the info (so far). I may end up going with a Ford truck V-8 (460,429,370) if the Cat isn't the best option. At least that way, parts will be available anywhere. And I've got a lot of BBF stuff. I just think a gasoline V-8 of any manufacture will look out of place in there. Hence the thoughts about something more "industrial".........I will need to research bellhousing patterns, also.

supermechanic

Don't put another gasser in there, the fuel economy(or lack of) will be the same.
The 3208 is a good engine, just not a 'great' engine. It will work well for this, as it's original intention was for use in medium trucks.
When used in a big tri axel dump, or as a log truck, they had short lives.
I'd have one anyday.
Parts are plentyful, as this engine was a popular one for many years, but will cost you.
All genuine Cat parts are pricey, thats the fee for joining the 'yellow engine' club.
For ease of maintenance, the big cummins engines have had the mark for many years.
If you dont mind a little creative sheetmetal work, you can fit just about any big rig diesel in a 5 ton.
I shoe-horned a 330 small cam into an m52, just had to stretch the hood and move the radiator forward.
Have fun , thats what this hobby is all about.

lacoda56

I've driven several trucks with 3208's over the years, most with poor maintenance, and they held up great. I just wanted to add to the above that they were designed as a medium duty engine and will not hold up to steady, over the road use. That's what the big dogs were designed for. Any piece of equipment used beyond its design limits will probably fail. I wouldn't hesitate to use one in a deuce or a 5 ton because that's what they were built to do.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
In the mid 80's I used many Ford 8000 single axle tractors with the 3208. Head gasket failures were a problem, however the radiators being used were rather old and only two row core.JimK