• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opti Lube XPD and Oil Fortifier. Are they a measurable difference? We will find out

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi everyone,

I just purchased some Opti-Lube XPD and Oil Fortifier and I am going to run it in my M35A2 and see how much of a difference it makes over the course of a new tank full of Diesel and a new oil change tomorrow.

The Opti-Lube was rated second highest in a ULSD study and people have seen some great results with it. I am going to put a full quart in the tank and see if it bumps the fuel economy.

The Oil Fortifier is suppose to be a fantastic product and I will put a quart of this in the engine. (Later this month, I will change the transmission and transfer case and add it as well) There are people using the Oil Fortifier in NASCAR, race cars, and heavy duty trucks. Some have said their engine temps have dropped 30 degrees on normal capacity and 10 degrees on a full load. People also stated that their engines and gearboxes have dropped dramatically in noise and even the oil fortifier has helped improve fuel economy up to 15%. If these additives work this well, It should make a decent change. I will let you know my findings after I change the oil and run it for a while.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to post my findings. If anyone owns a Diesel Military vehicle, I strongly recommend purchasing a quart of Opti-Lube Oil Fortifier and putting it in their next oil change. You wouldn't believe the differences it made almost immediately. You add one full quart on a oil change and after that one ounce per oil change.

After starting the truck, I let the truck warmup for about 10 minutes. Normally it takes my engine about 10 minutes to get to about 150 degrees or so and then I roll out. After the oil change I checked at 10 minutes and I still was not at 140 yet. I let it warm up for another 5 to 10 minutes and took a road trip. The truck seemed to drive as normal but the temps on the engine were considerably lower than normal and took much longer to get to 160. We decided to try some hills and grades with the truck. Right from the beginning of climbing the hill, I noticed a horsepower increase. The bottle says up to 15% increased horsepower. I am a skeptic (like most) and I am a complete believer that it made a noticeable difference. I start climbing hills I normally do and not only did I not have to downshift, but I noticed that I had to back off the throttle to keep from redlining. Not only was the power an increase, it took a very long time to get about 180 degrees in the truck. Mind you the truck was on a constant grade of over 7 percent the entire 3 mile incline and I only had to downshift one time because the grade went to over 25 percent. I am very thrilled with this product. Not only did it make a difference in everything I mentioned, but it also made the engine more quiet. I have a whistler and the truck is very loud, but when I got out of the truck at the end of the run and was letting it cool down before powering down, I noticed that the engine itself was quieter.

I wish I had more concrete data to back my findings, but based on other peoples observations and findings, I have noticed the same findings they have.

I did not fill the tank up with fuel yet, but I plan on doing that in a week or so. When that happens, I will add the Opti Lube XPD for the fuel and that is suppose to not only improve horsepower, but improve fuel economy. If the product works as directed, between the oil fortifier and XPD, I should see a 30% increase in fuel economy, not to mention more horsepower and better lubrication all around.

I highly recommend this to anyone. I hope someone else decides to try these products because you will not be disappointed.

ducer

Where did you get these products from and how much? I'll bet you don't see any long term gains. We tried the same thing with slick50 in the 80's at the dealership I worked at short term (under 500 miles) saw an improvement (10% mpg) after about 500 miles nothing. No way you will see a 30% increase in power or fuel economy.
My .2cents
Denny

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get these products from and how much? I'll bet you don't see any long term gains. We tried the same thing with slick50 in the 80's at the dealership I worked at short term (under 500 miles) saw an improvement (10% mpg) after about 500 miles nothing. No way you will see a 30% increase in power or fuel economy.
My .2cents
Denny

I bought it from their website. There are tons of customer reviews and these findings range from people who race in NASCAR to multiple large tractor companies and use this stuff on a continuous basis. Look up their website and take a look at it.

There are people reporting up to 30% increase between both products being used. Whether its true or not I do not know. But after running then deuce tonight it def feels different and has more power.
I know in ULSD study that was double blind it was ranked the 2nd best for lubricating properties and seemed to make a difference in wear.

It smoked Lucas products by far. At least in their fuel improver. I'll let you know the fuel economy difference when I put a full tank in next week. As for now the deuce does run lower engine temps and keeps lower on grades all the time. I'll put some.heavy loads behind it and see what happens.

welldigger

Maybe this stuff works, maybe it don't. When they start claiming 15% power gains I get incredibly skeptical. That is a lot of power gain from an oil additive. As far as the fuel system treatment, there's no doubt that a good fuel system cleaning is beneficial. Personally I'm a fan of FPPF products. Of course it helps that a buddy of mine works in a diesel injector and IP repair facility and gives me a few bottles every now and then.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe this stuff works, maybe it don't. When they start claiming 15% power gains I get incredibly skeptical. That is a lot of power gain from an oil additive. As far as the fuel system treatment, there's no doubt that a good fuel system cleaning is beneficial. Personally I'm a fan of FPPF products. Of course it helps that a buddy of mine works in a diesel injector and IP repair facility and gives me a few bottles every now and then.
I have no way of identifying how much of an increase there is. Wish I had a way of determining what the actual gain is. I live in the mountains. When downtown gets 6 inches of snow we get about 10-12. The constant mountain driving puts me in 2 gear high. I didn't have to downshift out of 3rd at all. I could have went to 4th but wanted to make sure I had the power.
If the oil fortifier is lubricating this well and keeping the engine temps as low as it did, it must be increasing the power because there is less friction in the engine.

Honestly, I would try it once and tell me what you think. Each truck will respond differently. I haven't adjusted the fuel or anything since I bought the truck from Kublos. The truck runs like a bastard and is a great truck but this stuff is something I have never came across in 20+ years of owning diesels. I want to put it in my 7.3L and see what it does or my compact diesel ford tractor.

Try a quart and let me know. Its.even safe to put in transmissions and transfer cases, although I will check with the.company and talk to a rep before I do that.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did some more driving. I drove the truck harder tonight on steeper grades and the truck didn't break 200. Hovered at 190 or so. It seemed to do great on hills. Also, after letting the truck cool down, I looked at my engine temp. The truck was down to 160 degrees. Normally it would.cool down to about 180 or so. It seems the more its run the better off it is.

Woodsplinter

Opti Lube XPD and Oil Fortifier. Are they a measurable difference? We will fi

I have been using the XPD fuel additive in my M35A2 for a year now but have not noticed any improvement in gas mileage. I use it to make sure the fuel is properly lubricating the fuel system. I haven't tried the oil fortifier but probably will give it a shot- lower temps here in the desert are always welcome!

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been using the XPD fuel additive in my M35A2 for a year now but have not noticed any improvement in gas mileage. I use it to make sure the fuel is properly lubricating the fuel system. I haven't tried the oil fortifier but probably will give it a shot- lower temps here in the desert are always welcome!
I didn't put it in yet. Does it make any changes whatsoever? Notice any HP gains? I would think if it helps lubricate better it will run better. Less friction

trukhead

I added the opti-lube fuel lubricant to a DT414, it's a smaller displacement version of the DT466 that had 1800 hours of it. I immediately noticed a lot less smoke just after start-up after the engine ran a half a gallon of treated fuel. I also ran a brand new 25 horse 3 cylinder Kubota engine with the first half of a tank of untreated fuel and noticed how it ran and started. I then treated the next tank full of premium off-road fuel with the recommended 2 ounces to 8 gallons of fuel and noticed after the engine ran a bit of treated fuel through the system, It sounded less rattly and seemed to run a bit smoother.
I suspect the injectors close smoother and tighter when the treated fuel lubricates the internals of the injectors. As a result the engine timing is closer to spec and the injectors have a better spray pattern.
I plan on running the recommended treatment quantity in a CUCV, a M35A3 and a M931A2 and a Mep002 genset and any other diesels I may operate.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added the opti-lube fuel lubricant to a DT414, it's a smaller displacement version of the DT466 that had 1800 hours of it. I immediately noticed a lot less smoke just after start-up after the engine ran a half a gallon of treated fuel. I also ran a brand new 25 horse 3 cylinder Kubota engine with the first half of a tank of untreated fuel and noticed how it ran and started. I then treated the next tank full of premium off-road fuel with the recommended 2 ounces to 8 gallons of fuel and noticed after the engine ran a bit of treated fuel through the system, It sounded less rattly and seemed to run a bit smoother.
I suspect the injectors close smoother and tighter when the treated fuel lubricates the internals of the injectors. As a result the engine timing is closer to spec and the injectors have a better spray pattern.
I plan on running the recommended treatment quantity in a CUCV, a M35A3 and a M931A2 and a Mep002 genset and any other diesels I may operate.
If you like the XPD. Get the oil fortifier and do an oil change. You will love the results of the product on your trucks.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our club got some old Jet-A from a nearby airport (FAA audit said it was too old to go in an airplane, and they didn't have any jets coming in anymore. Owner got a donation letter, we got 'free' fuel that was quite 'dry') and decided to treat it with the XPD to lubricate the fuel. We've bought three gallons so far to put in our pods. Deuces, forklift and Dresser loader all seem to work fine with it, but no increases in power. I really don't expect any power changes because the friction in the IP and the injectors is too small to have a measurable effect.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our club got some old Jet-A from a nearby airport (FAA audit said it was too old to go in an airplane, and they didn't have any jets coming in anymore. Owner got a donation letter, we got 'free' fuel that was quite 'dry') and decided to treat it with the XPD to lubricate the fuel. We've bought three gallons so far to put in our pods. Deuces, forklift and Dresser loader all seem to work fine with it, but no increases in power. I really don't expect any power changes because the friction in the IP and the injectors is too small to have a measurable effect.
I would think it would help create a better jet being sprayed into the cyclinders. Maybe not. The fuel additive is supposed to be mixed with diesel. Maybe thats why there was no difference.

I guess no matter what it's hard to diagnose whether it creates more power, because who has a dyno to trully test it? I guess for me, if it lubricates better, then it's doing its job. Anything else is a benefit.

Maybe your injectors are all ready squeaky clean and you won't see a difference.

I know I talked to the company sales manager and he said he put it in some of his tractor trailers and saw an increase. Then took it out for a few tanks, and saw the milage went back down. It may not make any difference in the deuce because of its compression ratio and it's ability to use many different types of fuel.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Essentially Jet Fuel is highly refined kerosene with some additives, kerosene is (for lubricity purposes) essentially dry diesel. Multifuels were designed to run on JP-8, the military version of Jet-A. Multifuels spray their fuel into a bowl where it vaporizes because of the large surface area (it also does NOT all burn at the same time, which gives a longer power stroke). Someone did post a YouTube putting a deuce on a dyno - if I remember correctly it put 105 hp on the machine at WOT. So, 139 minus 105 is 34 hp lost between the engine and the ground - transmission, transfer case, pumpkins and wheel bearings. Anything that cuts the friction in those components is going to add back some of that 34 lost hp. The LDS engine had about another 50 or so hp than the LDT, and can run rings around them on hills (both engines in deuces). Thus I would conclude that somewhere between 105 and 150 hp there is a magic point where the engine can handle everything the truck was designed for while in high gear.2cents

Woodsplinter

Opti Lube XPD and Oil Fortifier. Are they a measurable difference? We will fi

Muthkw25- I can't say I really noticed any HP gain but my deuce has always been a strong runner. It purrs like a kitten so I will continue to use it.

trukhead

Prior to usisng the Opti-lube fuel treatment, I noticed the rain cap on the underside was wet from what appeared to be fuel condensate. The engine ran at lower power settings a majority of the time. Since running the Opti-lube treatment, I noticed the underside of the rain cap is dry. The engine is run a nearly the same operating range as before.
I can't say the engine is making more power. I think it is burning the fuel more efficiently due to cleaner, lubricated injectors that perhaps provide a better spray pattern that promotes more complete combustion of the provided fuel charge. Perhaps the throttle is a bit less open for the same power output. I'm just speculating on why the tractor smokes less and runs a bit smother. It is a DT414 engine.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prior to usisng the Opti-lube fuel treatment, I noticed the rain cap on the underside was wet from what appeared to be fuel condensate. The engine ran at lower power settings a majority of the time. Since running the Opti-lube treatment, I noticed the underside of the rain cap is dry. The engine is run a nearly the same operating range as before.
I can't say the engine is making more power. I think it is burning the fuel more efficiently due to cleaner, lubricated injectors that perhaps provide a better spray pattern that promotes more complete combustion of the provided fuel charge. Perhaps the throttle is a bit less open for the same power output. I'm just speculating on why the tractor smokes less and runs a bit smother. It is a DT414 engine.
If the Fuel Improver is lubricating the injectors better and helping produce a better spray pattern than before, its more efficient. If it's more efficient it must make a difference in the power or fuel economy since there is now less restriction than before. I am not a mechanic but it would make sense if the fuel is being burned more efficiently, it will reduce the smoke, which is a result of a better burn in the cyclinders.

I am planning on putting a new tank of fuel in very soon and I will try it out. See if I can notice a difference.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I added the Fuel Improver and got some results. I emptied the tank and put fresh fuel in with the OptiLube XPD. I let it run for 30 minutes then ran the truck. As I was driving the truck. I noticed in my blindspot mirror and nice long line of exhaust. Gray and white, slight blue hue to it. It was pooring out for a 1/2 mile. After that it didn't smoke. The exhaust smelled better. I used the diesel kleen gray bottle the first time. The smell from the exhaust was terrible. The new additive smells better and the injection pump seems to run quieter. I also noticed it doesn't smoke as much on idle and when reving the engine. I haven't driven it enough to notice any power gains. I plan on trying some hills and to tow a trailer to see how it does. I think then more I run it. The better it will get.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks