• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Optima battery tray/mount fabrication

Ride2Kill

So I just got home from a 5 month deployment to find my new Deuce sitting in my driveway waiting for me! I had bought it while on deployment from GL and had my dad and brother get it home for me. We had it towed to Englewood (just south of Denver) from Fort Carson. Awesome huh?? Anyways, it needed batterys. I chose to neglect my girlfriend and spend some time with my new best friend and get the new truck running. I sorced the 6L military syle batterys at my local Napa store, only finding myself buying 2 new Optima red tops insted. I have a bunch of reasons why I chose the optimas, but thats better left for past threads. I will now get into how I mounted them in the excisting battery box.
I cobbled up a sub frame out of 1" square tube and 1" x 3/16" cold roll. It bolts into the bottom of the battery box useing existing holes.
The pics will best explain how I conqoured the task. Please keep in mind I used only what I had sitting around and I have no completion pics for, it got cold and dark. More pics will follow.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Optima, actually makes adapters to properly fit in place of a 6tl.

Ride2Kill

Optima, actually makes adapters to properly fit in place of a 6tl.
Im quite aware of this. I didn't want to wait for shipping of them, and the adapters don't facilitate the "holding down" of the batterys.
Also, the guy at Napa would probably have had a hard time looking up an adapter for the optimas. I didn't bother asking him.

cx65083

Optima's

Optima's are incredible batteries and put out a LOT of OMPHHH even when cold.... really cold...really really cold! I had one on my old ford 460 motor and it would crank it over at neg.40 with no problems. I'm sure TWO Optima's will do just fine in a lil duece for cold starts.

Now to save my pennies and buy two of the bigger Optima's for my M813a1 :)
Thanks for the pics.... I'll be making a tray for mine as well!

Thanks for your service. I know you made one **** of a difference over there.

goldneagle

I do not like the single pivot point of the top holder. It could rotate from vibrations and short the top terminal. I would add a perpendicular flat metal on eacc end that would be an upside-down u to go down a little on both sides of the battery.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clintogf and I have used Optimas in multiple trucks. We've had no problem with them starting in cold weather, but here in Georgia, the lowest temps we've encountered have been high teens.

We have used the Optima adapters in all the trucks we've done, but the adapters have one real shortcoming: The lip that holds the batteries in is really minimal and we've had a couple that either due to flex or loose production tolerances, we've had a couple batteries that you could wiggle out of the adapter. They needed some kind of additional strap to make sure the battery couldn't come out of the adapter.

Conclusion: If all you use your deuce for is parades and trips to home cheapo, the Optima adapters are probably ok, but I'd add some kind of a strap to ensure the batteries don't come loose. If you use your deuce in a more severe way, something along the lines of what the OP did here is in order.

I do agree with goldeneagle about the potential for that top brace to pivot and short. I'd add some additional stock to it.

It is an very nice fab job, very clean and professional looking.

Attachments

Ride2Kill

I do not like the single pivot point of the top holder. It could rotate from vibrations and short the top terminal. I would add a perpendicular flat metal on eacc end that would be an upside-down u to go down a little on both sides of the battery.
Thats a good idea. Even though the mount is insulated from the truck, I think Ill take your advice on this. I have some 1/4 rod that will work great.