• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Optimus Prime...HET M1070

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Introduction in order. We purchased a 1994 HET M1070 just recently. It took some logistics getting it here but we eventually got all that taken care of. We put "Optimus Prime" in a "parade" last weekend and a car-show. We had a great time talking to many people.

There was a local army vet that we knew so we had him drive the truck in the parade...he was thrilled.

So I'm curious?

Has anyone ever known anyone to change the truck to a manual? Eaton 10spd ect? Has anyone ever changed the gearing in the axles and pinion?

In my experience with working with Oshkosh...they are proprietor in their parts...shaft and spline counts usually don't mix match when it comes to changing out trannies...so you havet to use their parts or go through major modification. The last transfer case I changed cost $$$ 17,000 bucks and that was discounted from $24,000.

Attachments

Last edited:

monstermog

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I could come up with a flip neck trailer...sure. Yes up here in the patch their are many uses for a recovery truck....but right now...Military parades are priority and going to church.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

Has anyone ever known anyone to change the truck to a manual? Eaton 10spd ect? Has anyone ever changed the

gearing in the axles and pinion?
Soni changed the transmission in his M920 to a manual and replaced the 400 Cummins with a 600. As for the axles I guess anything is possible with time and money. The V-8 Detroit is, in my opinion, the biggest liability to this truck. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of the big "Yamaha" screaming along at wide open throtle, but it sucks fuel and is loud enough to get old on a long trip. Being gearbound does not help the matter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks