• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

options for unarmored body holes

spankybear

I got these

Here are others

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Obtain some aluminum sheet same gauge as the body, cut into 1” circles, JB Weld in place from the inside, fill remaining hole with more JB Weld?

royg

If you are crazy like me and enjoy tig welding:

1-drill out with a step bit so you have perfect round hole
2-gently use a clean & strip disc on a grinder to disappear the paint nearby (clean both sides, wear a mask)
3-punch or hole-saw an aluminum plug to fill the hole. I like 10 guage 5052 for the plug, so i can simply flow it down to the thinner body guage when welding. it also allows the plug to be hammered a little bit thinner/wider if you need to enlarge the plug a bit to fit tightly.
4-clamp copper behind the hole/plug so you can really sink the weld in without worrying about blowing it out. (the weld wont stick to copper))
5-tig weld the perimeter of the plug
6-rough grind with an aluminum grinding disc, finish with a flap disc.

Admittedly I like welding and have the stuff. It produces a perfect result. But it's stupid time-consuming. Takes me a couple of hours to do about 10 holes and that's my limit for a day. So it took me several days to vanish all the MAK armor holes in my 1123

Vapor Trail

I tried the welding thing and it ruined my fender and caused a whole catastrophe because there are no driver side rear fenders in the world apparently. The problem is many of the holes are double and triple walled and there is no way to remove the glue thats between them so as soon as the area heats up the stuff shoots out and contaminates the weld. I glued 1/8" aluminum shapes on the inside of the fender with panel bonding glue from a body shop then filled the hole on the front with direct to metal reinforced body filler. I haven't painted it yet but it seems like its working well . You have to remove all the paint from the inside fender where the patch is and rough up both sides of the patch

Last edited:

Autonomy_Lost

I tried the welding thing and it ruined my fender and caused a whole = catastrophe because there are no driver side rear fenders in the world apparently. The problem is many of the holes are double and triple walled and there is no way to remove the glue thats between them so as soon as the area heats up the stuff shoots out and contaminates the weld. I glued 1/8" aluminum shapes on the inside of the fender with panel bonding glue from a body shop then filled the hole on the front with direct to metal reinforced body filler. I haven't painted it yet but it seems like its working well . You have to remove all the paint from the inside fender where the patch is and rough up both sides of the patch
This reinforces my decision to just use hex bolts 🤣

BLK HMMWV

Maybe you could fabricate some jack rails to cover the holes.
Maybe you could fabricate some jack rails to cover the holes.
I like the 2nd option.
Or find some M1114
Aluminum overlay pieces. Might have to cut the pie shaped piece off in the middle because it won't look right with it.

Attachments

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great! In my hands, thick body filler over time tends to crack. Lead might work BUT you need a respirator.

JB weld soaked gauze might also do the trick.

Vapor Trail

Looks great! In my hands, thick body filler over time tends to crack. Lead might work BUT you need a respirator.

JB weld soaked gauze might also do the trick.
Im hoping for the best. It’s only 1/16” thick for the most part. A lot of the holes were filled up with the super hard epoxy body panel glue so I roughed it up and went over it with the filler

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried carriage bolts initially but didn't like the look and they don't lend themselves to tightening up well in this application since it is just a hole. I went with flat Allen head 3/8"-16 (NC) stainless steel 3/4" length bolts. It isn't perfect, but it looks much better. Anyone like this idea?
Those look amazing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks