• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oracle LED headlight bulb

tim292stro

Don't expect much from them - they will not output focussed light with that type of LED:
h4.1.jpg

Even their own website shows how much worse the focus is - look there's no horizontal cut-off anymore versus the Halogen (just think of how much that's gonna stink for oncoming traffic!!!):
led_headlight_beam_comparison.1.jpg

:rant:
All that light you see above the "hotspots" in the LED half of the picture is light going into oncoming traffic's eyes. Think of it like this - the original halogen bulb is like using a soldering iron to heat up a wire, whereas that LED assembly is equivalent to pouring gasoline on your truck and lighting it on fire. Sure it's bright - but it's not very good at its job...

Oh and do these even have High Beams? Because the filament is in a completely different place for the high-beam on an H4 - and in a focus-point reflector type light fixture, literally fractions of a millimeter count (and they appear to be off by 1/4"!!!). That's why when I use 24V H4 halogens I specifically import OSRAM TruckStar Pro bulbs instead of using the locally available Hella bulbs - just the difference in the filament wind is enough to make a mess of the light output...
truckstar.jpg
(Hella Left, OSRAM Right)

What you see in that picture above with the OSRAM filament is exactly what the LED needs to replicate if it wants any hope of being suitable for use in a fixture designed for a halogen bulb. I've been doing electronics and LEDs since the first time the term "power LED" was uttered in the late '90's (my friend's dad was the one who made the first >1W blue LED while working at Agilent, now Philips Lumileds). There is no LED that has the lumens per watt in the physical space of that small filament and will function without a heatsink that would prevent it from being used in a halogen fixture. That problem is not going away any time soon either...

My 2cents, for the price of those LEDs get a good quality halogen fixture (preferably with an ECE pattern and DOT/SAE markings, i.e.: Hella, Cibie, Bosch, AutoPal), and run a plane-jane H4 or a TruckStar - then make sure your wiring harness is squared away (relay kit would be good here), and then AIM THEM PROPERLY. That's actually the best you can do with a halogen fixture. If you want to go LED, check out the offerings that were designed by people of a reputable intent: J.W. Speaker, Truck-Lite, Grote, Maxxima (listed most expensive to least expensive).

Okay I'll climb down from my :soapbox: - sorry about that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks