• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ord crossover steering and hydraulic assist?do i need one or the other

hokie8358

need a little help with this one! i ve never installed a ORD crossover steer on a dana 60. i bought this off craigslist, a used but like new set up. its not the hi steer set up. i ve got a used 1 ton 2wd steering box from a 86 chevy duallie. but i was reading the ord web page on the hrdro assist. my 86 m1028 is running 39.5 boggers and i ve got a 6 in. skyjacker and 2in. body lift on it. little fender trimming as well. i may be considering going to a 8in. superlift in the near future. could i go ahead now with the crossover or wait and do the assist with it? i will mention the truck see's more hi way than off road?

if your going to run anything bigger than 37" with that much lift... i would do both.. I did.. i have a M1009 with M1008 axles 4" ORD lift.. and 52" running recentered H1 on 37" bfg military take offs...ORD High/Crossover.. but i went with Redneck ram from West texas offroad, due to price... Still came with PSC ram.. doing that install now... pics to follow.. if i can finish it up tomorrow..

I re read your post.... if its mostly highway... just stick with the crossover Steering for now... i WOULD HIGHLY recomend.. you get the ORD steering brace that bolts in.. If not.. you will eventually break steering gearbox off frame... just ask how i know.... I have destroyed 4 gearboxes without it.. As part of my upgrade.. i got and installed both the bolt in brace and Frame repair kit from ORD.

Last edited:

Cucvnut

yes do the Hydro the truck will turn like butter! I love my rock ram in mine. but do you know if the drag link will clear your cross member ?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm running 11.00/20 NDT with ORD's cross-over without hydraulic steering. However I don't plan to do any serious off-roading. If I did, I would definitely install hydraulic steering and the steering brace. Heck my truck will probably never leave the asphalt!

I posted a couple of photos of the cross-over install in my rebuild thread. Pretty easy. Let me know if I can help you further.

Attachments

Cucvnut

I'm running 11.00/20 NDT with ORD's cross-over without hydraulic steering. However I don't plan to do any serious off-roading. If I did, I would definitely install hydraulic steering and the steering brace. Heck my truck will probably never leave the asphalt!

I posted a couple of photos of the cross-over install in my rebuild thread. Pretty easy. Let me know if I can help you further.

Such a sweet truck :)

hokie8358

ya man, my components are ORD and yes it does have the bend in it. but i have not ruff draft it yet to see if it would clear. having a heck of a time turning it now. think my factory power steering pump is going out. turns good while its idled up and first gets going. then in low rpm turns i have to pull the steering wheel.

biggestc69

Do you need to have a lift to run crossover steering? All the options I saw listed for them on ORD's website were for lifted trucks. Now with the front locker the stock steering is really suckin hard. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm just pretty ignorant in the ways of steering setups.

Cucvnut

You have a locker in the front? Cross over steering corrects the geometry on a,lifted truck because the 4wd is a push pull style and 2wd is a left right. If you have not lifted the truck i dont think cross over is really a benefit.

Last edited:

biggestc69

Well it sits a little higher than stock with new heavy duty front springs, but not much. What are the options for upgrading the steering if the truck sits at a stock ride height? I know there is ram assist and all that but is it really needed for 34" tires with a locked front end. If I get to a place where the tires are kinda in a bind, trying to turn up a steep hill with a little ledge at the bottom, the stock steering struggles. Like I said not trying to hijack the thread and not trying to sound like an idiot either. Just don't know much about aftermarket steering upgrades for these trucks.

If i were you... i would use ORD's Steering brace, and possibly the Frame repair/ upgrade kit first... than maybe hydroassist.. This will at least strengthen your components, as these body style trucks are infamous for having... "weak" steering, especially if you do ANYTHING above a stock confguration.

And As cucvnut stated... doing a crossover on a nonlifted truck will not help you... its more for lifted vehicles... 4-6" of lift or higher...

biggestc69

Thanks for the info guys! I called ORD yesterday and he said pretty much word for word what 1ton cucv k5 turbo said. He did say that you can run a crossover setup if your axle tube is at least 10" to the bottom of the frame. He said that 8" was about stock so if you've got at least a 2 inch lift they could help ya out. Sorry for the dumb questions I should have just called them to start with.