• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

original paint scheme HMMWV M998 Tan

Anyone know/have pics of original "factory" tan paint scheme for the HMMWV M998?
mine is currently completely tan except for evidence of the windshield having been somewhat masked off.

I'm guessing that the entire suspension/undercarriage as well as rims, radiator screens(but not grates), side view mirrors, and door frames where originally all black?
Were the airlift hood loops and front bumper also black?
The only photos I've seen are from the AM general site, but they are of the M1165
http://www.amgeneral.com/files/specs-sheet-m1165-domestic-04-10.pdf

Action

What do you mean by "scheme"? I have seen them where almost everything was painted tan. If they were painted tan before being used, the inside will still be green. The chassis components would be black.
What are "door frames"?

Thanks for the response Action. by "scheme" I meant the combination of colors and where they were used.

Are you saying that all M998s were initially green/camouflage out of the factory and only painted tan by the purchaser?

Mine is tan everywhere except the inside(which is mostly green with some remaining camouflage colors on the backs of the rear seats), and the insides of the wheel wells.
Does that mean it was painted tan before being originally issued?
I have also noticed black and brown paint showing through some of the spots where the tan paint has gotten chipped or scratched.

By "door frames"(poor choice of label on my part) I meant the aluminum trim which holds the weatherstripping around the outside of the fiberglass x-doors.
The tan paint seems to flake off of the aluminum as if it had a teflon coating. the aluminum is black anodized with no signs of green paint.
the insides of the x-doors are all solid green except for black hardware.

Last edited:

avlon01

I don't think there is any good documentation of what colors they are painted at the factory.

Evidence from members who served in motor pools shows that all Humvees came Woodland camo from the factory up until the early 00's. Then once the War on Terror started heating up, they came in tan or camo from the factory.

Units painted their vehicles depending on where they were deployed or planning on deploying to. That is why there is a large variety of colors on whole vehicles and parts. Parts may have also been replaced and then painted to match.

My M998A1 was painted a solid green with 3 color underneath. However, my front seats were tan. The rear seats were green.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are the manuals for paint policy

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-43-0139.pdf

TB 43-0209, just make sure that it has the changes after 1990 or the 998 wont be in there. M998 series starts on pg 50

I just quick scanned thru there and I didn't see anything that specified what color wheels or undercarriages should be painted

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the current trucks that are Tan have green interior paint. Only the ragtops are all Tan in and out.
By current, I mean M115x, M1165 etc...we are not ordering anymore rag tops that I'm aware of.
softskin is out....

Lawdog734

All the current trucks that are Tan have green interior paint. Only the ragtops are all Tan in and out.
By current, I mean M115x, M1165 etc..
Maybe that is dependent on the location? I'm aware of more than several M1152's here on the east coast for instance that were obviously green at one time, but are very much tan in and out now. They've got event worse paint jobs as anything I've ever seen coming out of the auctions too.

Action

Maybe that is dependent on the location? I'm aware of more than several M1152's here on the east coast for instance that were obviously green at one time, but are very much tan in and out now. They've got event worse paint jobs as anything I've ever seen coming out of the auctions too.
An m1152 is a ragtop unless it is an m1152a1w/b2 or similar armor package.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This can be debated all day....as I tell folks all the time, the only thing that is standard is that nothing is standard.
i don't know about anyone else...but doing what I do for the AF allows me to see HMMWV's across the entire spectrum, state to state, base to base, service to service etc....and my travels have never seen a ragtop M1152.
does not mean it don't exsist....

Anyone have good quality pics(or links) of TAN M998s(or other) that are painted as per the "book/manual"?
Or painted as per how you believe they should look?

Mostly interested in the details, like for example the fuel fill bucket.
I've noticed that on most of the later models the fuel fill buckets are black on the tan paint jobs.
Unlike the earlier models(like my M998 ) on which only the windows and tires didn't get paint

Lawdog734

This is all AM General Imagery. I'm seeing black undercarriages and tan sling loops on the hood. I imagine that things can't be that far off for delivery to the .mil:

27-MISC-COVER-M1165.jpg

hmmwv-ua.jpg

M1114-ua.jpg

M1165specialOps.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks