• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh Mk 48 General Info 8x8

KsM715

While I was at Fort Benning the Marines came down to fire their LAV's at one of our ranges.

One of those MK-48's was going down a steep hill just past the Ammo Supply Point and flipped over killing the driver and severely injuring the other guy. Those things are squirrely on paved roads due to the articulation.

Hmmm. We, (Jonh Q. Public) can buy these and drive them around but we cant buy a HMMWV because it wasn't designed to hi-way standards and might just up and flipover on you.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm. We, (Jonh Q. Public) can buy these and drive them around but we cant buy a HMMWV because it wasn't designed to hi-way standards and might just up and flipover on you.
I would guess its more along the lines of that Oshkosh doesn't have a much more expensive version they are (were) trying to protect the price point of.

teletech

So, has anyone driven theirs enough to have a sense of actual fuel consumption?
I saw a specified range of 300 miles and know they have 2x75 gallons of fuel capacity so it's at least 2mpg but I don't know under what conditions that was taken.
On-road, pretty lightly loaded would be the number I'm most interested in.

thanks again guys,
P_

Hoefler

I have owned my MK48 for a few years now. I have never checked the fuel mileage, but suspect its much better than 2MPG. When you own something and pay for its use, one tends to be practical in how he operates. When you are not paying for the fuel, repairs and have access to un-limited funds, 2 MPG is probably typical.
So-probably 5 MPH with your money. 2 MPG with other peoples money! However, sometimes one can not help themselves and push the go pedal flush to the floor while in low range and climbing a steel hill-the noise from the doghouse is worth 2 MPG penalty. These trucks are great fun to drive off road-on road not so much.
Pete