• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh wins JLTV Contract.

dilligaf13

When you can buy a fully loaded comparably sized Lenco vehicle, for under 250k, I think 400k is the government overpaying as usual. I've experienced an IED in an up-armored HMMWV so I fully believe that the soldiers need the best, but what I can't stand is companies charging exorbitant rates simply because it's a government contract.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you can buy a fully loaded comparably sized Lenco vehicle, for under 250k, I think 400k is the government overpaying as usual. I've experienced an IED in an up-armored HMMWV so I fully believe that the soldiers need the best, but what I can't stand is companies charging exorbitant rates simply because it's a government contract.
they are getting back all the R&D costs...and of course...its a govt contract.

Blackmagic94

SOUTH BEND, Ind., Aug. 25, 2015 — AM General LLC released the following statement on today’s Joint Light Tactical Vehicle decision attributed to a company spokesman:
“We are disappointed with the Government’s decision and continue to believe that AM General and our BRV-O vehicle are the right choice for the JLTV program, based on our best value offer which is backed by decades of LTV expertise and proven record as a trusted and reliable partner with the U.S. military. Our BRV-O provides world-class survivability features to Soldiers and Marines while delivering unmatched vehicle payload and performance. We are very proud of our team’s efforts and our BRV-O offering. At this time, we are reviewing the Government’s decision and are considering all available options.”

Sounds like this is going to the GAO for a petition, expect this to wind up in the courts with no JLTV product 3 years from now.

**** AM General

jpinst

HMMWV's too, are still going to be around for years.... First, they are all over the place (world - in Korea I recently saw m998 driving around) and second the JLTV does not really replace the HMMWV as a logistics truck. Do you need an expensive armored vehicle to shuttle water around the base or to move people in a non-combat zone? Probably not and the Pentagon simply does not have the money to spend that lavishly. Even in Afghanistan, for moving supplies around on the base, they used regular old MTV's and LMTV's......

tage

400k Each.... That ain't even funny. I guess we plan to stay in the horn of Africa for a little bit longer... Let alone when we get tired of blowing up our own munitions in the middle east...

o1951

Some of write-up got cut off, and my edit button is gone!! Therefore, second post.

Washington (AFP) - First there was the Jeep, then came the Humvee. Now the US military has a new all-purpose vehicle that's destined to become another emblem of American fighting power: the JLTV.

Granted, the name is not as catchy as its predecessors, but the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle signals a technological leap forward that the military hopes will protect troops for decades to come.
Army officials last month announced the winner of a bid to replace thousands of Humvees, the culmination of a search that began in the years after the start of the war in Iraq in 2003.
While the beefy-looking Humvee was praised for its speed and ubiquity as invading US troops poured into Iraq, a growing insurgency and the spread of roadside bombs there and in Afghanistan soon spelled trouble for the vehicle -- and its occupants.
With a flat underbelly and low clearance, the Humvee was ill-equipped to cope with the deadly blast of an explosive device. Instead of deflecting or dissipating the energy, much of it would shoot into the cab, often with fatal results.
"An armored Humvee is not designed to deal with landmines, the architecture is all wrong," said Jim Hasick, a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council think tank. "It sits far too close to the ground and doesn't have a V-shape hull (to deflect a blast)."
The military pushed to reinforce Humvees, but they remained vulnerable. Then came an accelerated program to deliver more than 24,000 new "mine-resistant ambush protected vehicles" -- or MRAPs -- at a cost of roughly $45 billion.
- $6.75 billion contract -
View gallery

An assembly line worker attaches a tire to a Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV) at Oshkosh’s Produc …

But these reinforced trucks were heavy, making it hard to deposit them where they were needed, and running counter to a Pentagon push for a faster, lighter fighting force.
So the military started looking for a replacement vehicle as mobile as a Humvee but with the protection of a MRAP.
The Army on August 25 announced a $6.75 billion contract for the Wisconsin-based manufacturer Oshkosh, which has a long track record of building military trucks and armored vehicles.
Oshkosh beat competitors Lockheed Martin and AM General, which makes the Humvee. The rivals may yet file protests over the contract award, which could potentially trigger delays.
In total, the Army plans to buy nearly 50,000 of the vehicles before 2040, while the Marine Corps wants 5,500. The total value of the contract over that time is estimated at $30 billion, with Oshkosh beginning to deliver vehicles 10 months from now.
- Protect the 'precious cargo' -
John Bryant, the senior vice president of defense programs at Oshkosh, said vehicle designers focused on the threat of roadside bombs.
View gallery

A US military Humvee is parked along the parade ground of the 'Processional Way' in this Jul …

Unlike in a Humvee, parts of the new JLTV fragment so explosive forces are carried away from the cab, helping to dissipate the deadly energy.
"Pieces of the vehicle will definitely fly off," Bryant told AFP.
"They are supposed to behave that way. You can see significant levels of destruction to portions of the vehicle, and yet the crew capsule with that precious cargo inside remains intact -- and the crew survives."
While precise technical specifications remain secret, Bryant said the new vehicle has been designed for the future, meaning it can be readily adapted for changing military needs.
For instance, it can come fitted with a turret for a regular gunner, or else it can be equipped with a remotely operated weapon.
Similarly, it would be relatively straightforward to make the vehicle remote-controlled or give it a hybrid-electric engine.
Imagine a convoy of military vehicles: if the leading one is remote-controlled and hits a roadside bomb, there is no crew to get injured.
The Oshkosh JLTV has a hulking front end covering a 6.6-liter diesel engine and small, bulletproof windows.
The vehicle is comparatively speedy, going up to 70 percent faster than any other military vehicle over rough terrain. And it's light enough to be carried by a CH-47 Chinook helicopter.

04mustang

AM General still has the m997A2 contract so they're not out of the game...

I'm interested to see if Lockheed succeeds
I am as well. But the thing with the M997A2 contact is that its only somewhere around 200-300 million, this was 30 billion. I just don't see how AM general will stay in the game in the long run without a major breakthrough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks