• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Other State Defense Force guys using their deuces "for the cause"?

Adamlee

Hey all. I figured out that my old photo albums are not around anymore, it wasn't the first thing on my list to do today so instead of searching for the old SS albums, I just started a new one. I put a few photos in from a recruiting setup our unit put together at a recent car show.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/album.php?albumid=58

Anyhow, I knew at least a few guys out here in Steelsoldiers are in SDF's, (OPCOM, SCSG-4) just wanted to see if any of you had created new fotoalbums yet here on the "new" site.

Take it easy!

Adam

Attachments

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just did some albums. segregated as to content type. You guys got the word on the ACU yet? We've had to change over.. dang velcro..

strangely I see only my own albums when selecting Quick Links / Pictures & Albums, but I see yours when I click yhe URL you provided. I must be doin it rong.

Last edited:

Adamlee

SDF's

just did some albums. segregated as to content type. You guys got the word on the ACU yet? We've had to change over.. dang velcro..
Patrick, we're still old-school BDU's in the tried & true woodland. The BIG news is that Virginia FINALLY got to change our name tapes from the famous "white prison inmate" ribbon look to actual, honest-to-god OD backing.

Also, we FINALLY adopted subdued divisional insignia. I doubt that we will be moving towards ACU any time soon.....considering the white nametapes were a holdover from about 1964.

Nice collection of photos from your Texas missions and training, BTW....[thumbzup]

Adam

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
South Carolina uses silver letters on a black nametape so it was distinct from the regular military (as is specified by NGB regulations). Patrick, if your state guard is NOT under the state Adjutant General, then you are not as bound to the regulations as we are. We were still in pickle suits 20 years after the NG got BDU's. There are other reasons. If you really want to know, send a PM.
Mangus, this might need to be moved from the Deuce forum to 'conversations'

nattieleather

I stopped using my MVs for SDF work because nobody wanted to take responsibility for the truck when they used it. It was expected that I bring the truck, but no one wanted to help pay for fuel. Nobody would man up when something got broken and offer to help buy the new part and the old army truck mentality would come out that it's not mine the gubment will pay for it. Well I'm not made of money and I don't have a tree I can pick from some in my back yard so I said no more. From now on my MVs are for my enjoyment only. If I go to drill and take my MV as my ride it's for me to drive and noone else.

Joe OHMR

sgtrisk

I plan on using mine for some activities, but I don't plan on getting a lot of reimburesment for it! But then, I've been donating a lot MORE than time, lately!!

BTW, I'm in the Black Horse Brigade, Adam. Which one are you?

Adamlee

SDF use of MV's

BTW, I'm in the Black Horse Brigade, Adam. Which one are you?
I'm also in Blackhorse - Echo Company, 23rd Battalion.....Manassas Armory; although I just got TDY to a brand new company they are starting up in Annandale, A/23 (provisional).....we'll see!

(FWIW, seven of us from Echo got deployed to Fort Pickett along with Blackhorse Brigade's MCP to act as HF liaison for Hurricane Hanna - which was almost a total non-event! Basically, we just got soaking wet all day with lots of rain.)

My deuce is only operated by myself at this point, and so far it's prime responsibility seems to be window dressing/advertising for recruitment. One day, I'd like to have either commo capability like OPCOM (Patrick) or general support ability.

Adam

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might as well tell about it, we can compare SDF and learn from this.

Texas SDF is under the TX Adjutant General and the Governor is the commander. TX may have certain rights WRT armies, I think it still keeps the right to have its own army. Military in Texas, except for federal troops like full-time Army, is called "the military forces of the state of Texas" and includes national guard, air guard, maritime, and state guard.

The difference between TX SDF and USAR/USAF/TXARNG uniforms is the "U.S. Army" tape which THEY have which indicates they are federalize-able, OURS whiuch says "Texas State Guard", indicating we cannot be federalized, and the shoulder patch flag, we wear is the Texas flag. The star is leading (wartime reversed flag).

I was happy with the BDUs and I had them paid for. Easy to clean, can't see spilled food on them, etc.. I had to buy new ACUs and all the velcro rank, tapes,. IR tab, other stuff and they were not cheap. (we don't have much need for IR but the guys like the tab and it's apparently authorized)

The way it works in TX, we don't break units up and mix them if it can be helped, except for the C4I detachment.

Every regiment has a responsibility to maintain a few headcount in its geographical area for C4I (communication-computer-command-control-information). C4I exists to detach from the regiment and support the statewide mission. These are the radio and computers experts. They get sent within Texas during emergencies to help with communications for the national guard so that the NG commo guys are not spread thin and also to free up more regular NG soldiers who would otherwise have to help w/ communications.

Each regiment might have one or two C4I that are non-deployable and they remain with RGT HQ staff and take care of whatever (I am one of those). Since I no longer deploy for health reasons, I make it up by training others in those black arts. Few acolytes are truly worthy :twisted:! Just kidding, but very few have a serious interest in command and control technology outside of computers.
Most ham radio guys don't want to do the military thing for wantever reason, they'd rather show up in shorts and a t-shirt and send messages for the red cross. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It might be an ego thing though. The red cross radioman is a big shot in his AO, the military radioman is just one of many useful tools for completing the mission.

For my truck's use, forget about getting paid for any of it. TX SDF uses the national guard's assets for the backbone in emergencies. In the past it was not so and we used the truck for commo with my agreement, but the current plan is more effective because the NG equipment is maintained at someone else's cost and since it is not private, it can be ordered anywhere. The TXSG will not intentionally (so far anyway) order a person or their assets directly into harm's way, and also it does not want to be responsible for private assets and would rather not have them integrated into the plan because they cannot legally control them.

We use my truck for comms operator training and as a TOC/NCS for non-emergency events for convenience sake. No one pays me for my fuel, radios, etc, but if there are big generators running at the event, there be diesel! and I always find a way to get my tank topped off on the event's nickel at no cost to the unit.
These public service events like the balloon race are a source of "donations" from the event to the unit fund which is used to pay for our office supplies, basic uniform items for those troops who are a bit short on cash, etc.

Since harm's way is mentioned, we are covered by state-paid workers comp insurance from the time we leave home until we return.

In Texas the employer is obligated to the same constraints as for federal military. If they don't, they get a letter from the adjutant general with attorney general in copy, which is guaranteed to correct the misunderstanding.
During State Active Deployment (sorry, not drills and unit-held training) The state pays each soldier about $125 per day plus meals and milieage at the IRS rate.
Employers who pay employees during the time an employee is deployed can demand an accounting of the $125 per day, and if the employee makes more than this, take it out of the employee's paycheck so that the employee theoretically gets the same pay for those days (emplyee not double dipping). They also may not deduct more than the employee's regular pay from the employee's paycheck from those employees who make less than $125 per day (employer cannot enrich itself).

Many of these improvements have been recent. Sometimes I am ashamed to say, the sdf does petty or seemingly senseless things. For instance there was a huge stack of radios, HF Motorlas I believe, in a warehouse there, and they would not assign them out to the field. They been there for years.

sgtrisk

Thanks for the details on TXSG. From what I've seen, TX seems to have their act together.

VA is similar. We're part of the state military, reporting through the Adjutant General to the Gov.

One of these days I'll have my M109 set up for commo. That's the main plan, anyway. As a Ham operator, I've got all the gear!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
South Carolina State Guard is under the AG, as part of the Military Department of South Carolina, which consists of the Army and Air Force Guard, the Emergency Preparedness Division and the State Guard. We have three brigades with geographic assignments, Coastal, Midlands, and Upstate, and a couple of ceremonial brigades (containing the Washington Light Infantry, the Sumter Guards, Bachmans Battery, the Third Palmetto Calvary, etc.).
I think my M109 will be used more with the MKT, storing bulk food, with the cargo deuce pulling an M105 trailer (or the Mobile Sanitation Trailer when it gets built), and the S-280 will go on an M36 with room for a generator and extra fuel up front, and a porch on the back.
The MOU's allowing my toys to be used is still being worked out, but I know the people who will be driving each one, and they work in my section, so control is a lot easier.
Michaelski
LTC, IN, SCSG
Asst G-4, HHD, SCSG

blackwolftrading

It's nice to no that there are other state guards out there I'm from Alaska and in the state guard 3rd BN 49th MP BRG we also are under the AG and Gov We use your mil trucks I'v got a M-37, and a XM-211 at present I'm in Iraq working for the Army as a STRYKER Lead (civilian) keep up the good work back home Roy

5tonpuller

102 nd Engineers New York Guard. Works like most of the other state guard units.We been doing a lot of repair and building of training facility's around the state.I make a joke of it as "Old army men working for food". But it goes a lot deeper then that. Anything we can do to make a soldier stay alive and come home because of the trainning sights we have build is worth TONS. I never was in the regular service but I can still try and do my part.

I have used my truck to some projects in the past. All on my own bill. Close ones I don't mind. When it gets like 100-150 miles one way with the $ of fuel it stays home. We intermix with a lot of the regular army people and have learned a lot from them. ( even been on a few tank rides ) shh. :evil:

When on one post I try to get to the junk yard there and see what needs a home, but I am told to clap my hands and walk fast. LOL The LT knows me well.:roll: It is hard work but I enjoy it very much and it is for a good thing.

People at work don't see the deeper meaning behind it. All they care is about there own pockets. Have had to have them inlightend by the Adjutant General office a few times but they overcome there unwillingness to see the bigger picture.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stopped using my MVs for SDF work because nobody wanted to take responsibility for the truck when they used it. It was expected that I bring the truck, but no one wanted to help pay for fuel. Nobody would man up when something got broken and offer to help buy the new part and the old army truck mentality would come out that it's not mine the gubment will pay for it. Well I'm not made of money and I don't have a tree I can pick from some in my back yard so I said no more. From now on my MVs are for my enjoyment only. If I go to drill and take my MV as my ride it's for me to drive and noone else.

Joe OHMR
No one uses mine either, although if I am going to park it and set up the radios, I do not mind others using it for communications once they have shown they understand how to operate radios, power supplies, and set the power supply voltage to keep the batteries alive.

The only key they get is to the shelter. Cab locked, steering locked, no generator key.

Today we did some radio testing. With one each VHF and UHF 40W base stations and a 20FT antenna mast with a dual band antenna, UHF handy talkie radios were poor performers, at 5 miles, yet VHF handy talkie radios worked perfectly. (The data took into consideration the entire signal chain, path loss, antenna gain, receiver sensitivity).

At first, the base station could not be heard outside the parking lot, nor could hear the remote radios. It was discovered that the person who connected the coax cable to the antenna has screwed the cable having an "N" male connector onto the antenna's "UHF" female socket. It screwed right on, but of course the signal-carrying pin was a bit short of contact with the 'hole'.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks