• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Other types of seats..

Slim

Has anybody used other types of seats in a deuce or 5 ton besides truck seats? I'm thinking maybe bucket seats or a deluxe bench seat with console. Anybody done something different like this?

Thanks

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I put a set of bucket seats out of a Dodge Neon in my M109.......I loved them...they took a lot of the rough out of the ride. I sold the truck the Lamar Rowland and he kept them in the truck.
Just about anything beats those old box seats.
I plan on installing the same kind in my M275 Tractor, my last cargo deuce and if I bob another one, I'll put them in that too.

It was nice to have more adjustment than the stock springer or box seat.

I used 1" square tubing, 3/4 inch galvanized pipe, all thread and a lot of "Redneck Engineering to get them in there right.

jesusgatos

I just took the bench seat out of my M109 today so that I can start designing new seat mounts. Still not sure exactly what type of seats I'm going to use, but I'm leaning towards some type of Bajastyle low-back suspension seats (like these). If you're not familiar with them, they're constructed sort of like a hammock, so they're a bit more comfortable than a traditional seat/frame. They are really popular with desert racers, rock crawlers and general off-road enthusiasts because they really do act as sort of a secondary suspension and tend to make rough-riding trucks (like our Deuces) a little more bearable. But they're not anything like air-ride seats. They're rigidly mounted and you won't feel like you're bouncing up/down. Anyway, lots of companies make them: Beard, Mastercraft, PRP, Corbeau, Twisted Stitch and others. A quick google-search for 'suspension seats' will turn up lots of results. Most of them are very reasonably priced.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I used charter bus seats. I cut the bottom off a springer seat base and welded it to the charter bus seat. It bolts right on to the springer and is VERY comfy. I drive a lot and it makes a world of difference.

Stan Leschert

Air ride let you last longer. The best ones that I have found are IHC stock seats. From what I hear Volvo seats are good too. Freightliner? From an FL-70 maybe. FL-50 not on your freaking life! Those cheap things hurt! The stock, unsprung seats in our 1956 M-135 are better! Trust me , I do know!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I hate to say it, but I don't agree. I had some Bolstrom(sp?) seats, and the hemtt seats. Pulled them both back out and put back in the charter bus seats. I'm sure what is good for me might not meet others needs, but those air ride seats are expensive, and I've tried them.

Stan Leschert

The higher end Bostrom seats are OK, but the mediun to budjet ones really hurt. Highway caoch seats tend to be the better ones. Deluxe long haul truck lines sometimes spend the money too! What ever seat you get, make sure that you know the effective ride cusioning distance. Build a shim as required. The 2 worst things in the world are; 1) seats that bottom out, and 2) seats that have to be fully aired up to get ride height.... therefore you have no cushioning. I found out the hard way... 6 months off with a back injury due to bad seats and harsh suspension. I'm finally back trying to do full time hours!

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Ah come on, I like the original box seat. Just think, if we all used them, we could keep preparation H in business for years. LOL

Slim

As much as I like putting my chiropractors kids through college, I would much rather have something comfy to sit on. The truck is basically a snow plow truck that serves as a pull truck when somebody really buries there mud truck in the woods, So it doesn't see much seat time. I like the idea of buckets from a mustang or something, but I am partial to a bench seat myself. Maybe one of the seats that were popular in the 80's with the oak cup holder and folding console if I can find one. Looks like a trip to the junkyard is in order...

wehring

MRAP Seats

MRAP seats on a box bottom. LOTS of room and comfy. I tried a spring bottom, air bottom and box bottom. THe box bottom worked out best for me. Now I look through the center of the windshield (in the wiper path) instead of looking just below the wiper motot (out of the wiper path)

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Attachments

avengeusa

MRAP seats on a box bottom. LOTS of room and comfy. I tried a spring bottom, air bottom and box bottom. THe box bottom worked out best for me. Now I look through the center of the windshield (in the wiper path) instead of looking just below the wiper motot (out of the wiper path)

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112
I slightly modded the wiper arms to take std automotive blades, longer, the path goes from the top to the bottom of the windshield frame, much better, but I like the MRAP seat idea

o1dakota440

sorry about the bad pic, when it waqrms up i will put the windshield down and take the top of to get some better pics. but anyway the drivers seat is the drivers seat out of a 2001 dodge dakota quad cab. and the passanger seat is the 60% seat from the 60/40 rear bench out of the same dakota. there is a 6 inch gap between them where i plan on adding a vertical rack for an ar-15.

100_0846.jpg
oh and i added a third seat belt for my kids to ride in the center part of the seats. my wife one kid and I fit perfect in it.

Last edited:

ARYankee

Great ideas guys. I'm really liking the MRAP seat for the driver's side. What is the NSN for them and how hard or where can I get one?