• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our M-37's first public outting

USMC4302

MCAA-LR1.jpgMCAA-LR2.jpgMCAA-LR3.jpgMCAA-LR4.jpg

Both our M-37 and 817 supported this year's annual Marine Corps Aviation Association John Glenn Chapter (NAS Patuxent River, MD) golf tournament. An ATHS friend helped me with the logistics of getting both vehicles there Thursday morning. The M-37 enjoyed it's first public event (since its been assigned to our motor pool) by serving as a static display between the 9th hole green and the the 10th hole tee box. Each of the teams had a team picture taken with the truck. Long day helping golfers in and out of the truck (one, active duty LtCol, got his spikes caught in the running board and took a tumble ...) but fun catching up with old friends.

It was amazing how many of them called it a "Jeep." A lot of them wanted to know if a hole in one won the Jeep. I said, "Heck, closest to the pin wins the Jeep!" Out of 18 foursomes, only one person correctly identified it as an Army M-37B-1 -- I surprised to get even one considering they were all air wingers ... ;)

the 817 was set up out on Cedar Point rd as the gate guard for the golf course for the day. Note the sparkly (almost) new 177s, thanks to a fellow steel soldier.

Fun day in MV Land! :)

Semper Fi!

Last edited:

AZDeuce

Beautiful M37, but Marine trucks don't use the bridge plate on the grill, and it "should" have the tie down brackets that go around the rear tail lights. But you're driving her the way God intended, with the windshield down! They are a blast to drive with the windshield lowered.

FrankUSMC

AzDeuce
Yes, but by having the bridge plate, no lifting shackles around the rear tail lights, no paper clips on the front bumper, and the made up hood number.......like a lot of our gear, it was reprocessed in the middle of the night from an army unit.
That is a BEAUTIFUL m37! Made this Marine proud to see it. You did good!!!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

USMC4302

Yes, Thank you -- I know it's an army truck painted to be a REAL truck. But as the others say, it's fun to drive it around as is -- with the top off and the windshield down!

We like it as is and feel no need to change it.

It IS fun to drive it as God intended -- I ran errands in it today in town (Leonardtown, MD) and it was as much fun as if it was a correct USMC vehicle. Some day, maybe. But in the meantime ... Yes, thank you for pointing out what I already know, but it's more fun to show that I've taken an "Army" truck from our SISTER service and given it a Y chromosome -- something that so many of these truck are so sadly lacking :)

All in fun ... (maybe ... ;) )

Thanks Frank -- You darn skippy 'bout that -- Brothers always!

Semper Fi

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking M-37. Looks like you are having fun with it, which, imho, is the whole point of owning one.

Besides, YOU are command authority now, so you can do whatever you want, since you control the budget too.

If you ever are interested in the Marine Corps lifting shackles for the back, I've got a couple of extra sets.

My truck is an Army truck, but I put the lifting shackles on the back because I like them.

They protect the tail lights too.

KaiserM109

I like those tires on your M37! I'm a great proponent of getting rid of those NDTs if you're gonna do any slick road driving. Great restore job. I have fond memories of an M37 that always brought me home.

USMC4302

Thanks for the comments! The tires are the Michelin XZLs that seem to be very much in demand (and hard to get) for these trucks -- my knowledge of them comes solely from what I've read here. You guys know more about them than I do. Mine were unused (still had the stickers on the treads), unmounted and in the back of the truck when I bought it. The NDT's that were on the truck were worn, extremely weather checked and fossilized. I used the best one for the spare -- I hope I don't get a flat! Besides the size difference and bias ply, I have let most of the air out of it so it won't explode just hanging there (it's there for looks, anyway). The Michelins sure give the truck a vastly different stance!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
.....like a lot of our gear, it was reprocessed in the middle of the night from an army unit.
In my day, it was semi-official policy to go "shopping" whenever we were around another service's gear. I can attest to the fact that a CH-53D can be used to "reallocate" an Army M35 to the Marine Corps!

Both my sons are currently Marines, they say the policy has not been rescinded. :)

By the way, the policy applied to government gear only, and never for personal gain. And nicking someone elses personally owned gear was NOT condoned.

Semper Fi brothers.

Cheers

Last edited:

KaiserM109

In my day, it was semi-official policy to go "shopping" whenever we were around another service's gear. ... Cheers
In the 15th CEB we had 4 APCs with flame throwers like Navy river boats had. They were a bit maintenance intensive, particularly the seals between the flame thrower and the tanks. The Navy was real good to us. We had a yard on the edge of our base, Dong Tam, where they draggedd in their shot-up boats and they let us scrounge. They even gave us new parts in trade for AKs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks