• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Our M936A2

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I have to ask.....why? What makes an old, underpowered, single boom winch wrecker attractive for the work you do? Reason for asking is that recovery in my area is a tough cutthroat business where every investment better have a good business case and return. I am not in recovery but get to talk to them on accident scenes. M936 is a cool truck and I have often wondered whether there is a civilian recovery use for them! You got me all curious now.

kd0ezq

Ok, I have to ask.....why? What makes an old, underpowered, single boom winch wrecker attractive for the work you do? Reason for asking is that recovery in my area is a tough cutthroat business where every investment better have a good business case and return. I am not in recovery but get to talk to them on accident scenes. M936 is a cool truck and I have often wondered whether there is a civilian recovery use for them! You got me all curious now.
[/QUOTE
We bought it cheap first of all, and it goes places our big wreckers and roll backs and even our 4x4 won’t go. We’ve pulled semis out of ditches in a couple feet of snow with the drag winch, drug them through muddy fields even pulled boats to the beach at the lake with it. It’s the only one like it around, probably within 200 miles and there’s just time it works better than anything else we can use, we don’t do heavy recoveries often enough to justify even a used heavy rotator, but this one will suffice when we need something similar. Agreed it’s not something that we use every day, but if we can justify running it out to a scene for something we take it, it’s paid for itself a few times, we’ve used it to transfer cargo from a wrecked truck to another truck a couple times, set it in the middle of two trailers and swing from one side to the other to quickly move stuff…

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 895944Our M936A2 doing work, we use it for recovery,towing work along I-70 in Kansas.
One "gotta ask" from me... Boom Support. The tubes on the left and right sides of the boom so that the hydraulics aren't supporting the boom. It's a heck of a neat looking picture but those supports keep things from going wrong. Taking a turn pulling something could cause the rotation manifold to "give up" and rotate your load out beside you.

(Those gizmos sticking out back in the picture below.)

M936 installing Detroit Boat Engine.JPG

Boom Support (Tubes).jpg

#27 and #22 in the TM picture above

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks