• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OUT AND ABOUT WITH MY HMMWV

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The what have I done TO my HMMWV post is so popular, how about a "out and about" thread as we all love picture yes?
I ran down to Port Aransas this morning to check out the hung over spring breakers, was surprised to see the beach was not very populated, I did see a Willys with MINNESOOOOOTA plates
IMG_20210313_072328644.jpg
And this guy with an LMTV he trailered down and used his float to set up a very loud DJ setup, the Port A cops took exception to this and arrested him last night, so this morning he moved down the beach out of Port A's jurisdiction, he was setting up when I left.
IMG_20210313_103504520.jpg
As you can see there was some areas where relative privacy was available.
IMG_20210313_081101924.jpg

Last edited:

MattNC

I like this thread idea. Here’s a few out and about pics from the past year and a half. My theme is haulin’ stuff. Kids, bikes, kayaks, surf rods and lots of construction supplies.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the shakedown cruise to Port Aransas didn't go so well, I got on the ferry to go to the island and of course you must shut off the engine, but when I tried to start it there was a big clunk then nothing, well that is not a very convenient place to break down, they got everyone else off and brought over there little battery operated "pusher" and pushed me off to where they could put me where cones separated me from the traffic.
IMG_20210529_065345723.jpg
So I pulled myself underneath to check out the starter and I will be damned there it laid with the front of the starter broken off, MUST BE A HUMVEE THING!
never heard of it happening to a regular Duramax! but as I had stated in the build thread the donor motor had broken completely loose from its mounts during the accident which included rolling over so most likely the starter was damaged then and just took 350mi and a bazillion starts to completely fail.

The XYL came down and picked me up 45mi one way, we went home where we hooked up the goose-neck to the 1ton and traveled back and picked up the Duravee.
IMG_20210529_112720716_HDR.jpg
I'm sure I was not too popular taking up two lanes both ways across the ferry. (not my choice, I was instructed to)
IMG_20210529_113948790_HDR.jpg
The line was starting to get pretty long going to the island by the time we got loaded and back on the mainland, this was about a 1/4mi from the landing where I stopped to check the load.

Hats off to the TXDOT workers, they were great, they set up a special place for the truck and trailer when I returned and pushed the the dead Duravee over to where they had me staged.
IMG_20210529_121242252_HDR.jpg
Of course there was the obligatory stop at Whataburger for munchies on the way home...

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the starter replaced, did it on my back on the trailer, was very easy compared to the 6.2/6.5L starter

Last edited:

McP47

These are from last summer, but It’s about that time here on the east coast for one my favorite summer activities...recovering moron’s vehicles on the beach. The brand new BMW M3 in the video was my favorite. Guy is buried in the dune crossing blocking all traffic on and off beach and he says “my wife said it would be fine it’s all wheel drive”. I didn’t know where to start with that one, so just took the high road. LOL.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is something you do not see every day, two vehicles displaying identical license plates, legally!!
In Texas the only identical plates that can be on different vehicles (up to three) is a licensed radio operator, and unlike any other vanity plates they only cost a dollar a year extra, must have been a powerful Ham in Texas politics at one time!!
6_27_2021.jpg
plate.jpg

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weather service forecast heavy cloud cover over the Port Aransas beach today, so I went prepared to spend the day and night on the beach, the national weather service must be the only job where you can be wrong EVERY day and still keep your job, after 7 hours without a single cloud passing over I gave in and went home, there was simply no place to hide, lots of nice folks though, many Trump 2024 flags, also allot of Biden flags but I cannot show them here...
FLAGS.jpg
BEACH.jpg
Amphibious HMMWV.
amphibious_HMMWV.jpg
Actually they put me first on the ferry then put a full blown 18 wheeler behind me, I guess they needed a buffer in case the 18 wheeler got loose LOL

Last edited:

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weather service forecast heavy cloud cover over the Port Aransas beach today, so I went prepared to spend the day and night on the beach, the national weather service must be the only job where you can be wrong EVERY day and still keep your job, after 7 hours without a single cloud passing over I gave in and went home, there was simply no place to hide, lots of nice folks though, many Trump 2024 flags, also allot of Biden flags but I cannot show them here...
View attachment 838685
View attachment 838686
Amphibious HMMWV.
View attachment 838712
Actually they put me on first on the ferry then put a full blown 18 wheeler behind me, I guess they needed a buffer in case the 18 wheeler got loose LOL
Actually they put me on first on the ferry then put a full blown 18 wheeler behind me, I guess they needed a buffer in case the 18 wheeler got loose LOL.......... TIRE CHOCK

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
[/QUOTE]
TIRE CHOCK
[/QUOTE]
LOL, what I meant to say!!
I went back for a few hours this morning, I had meet some folks from the Austin area with some nice looking HMMWVs yesterday but forgot to take any pictures, all I saw on the beach today MV wise was an LTV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks