• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Out of fuel....or am I?

JeremyPhillips

Well, to the best of my knowledge, I may have run my 6.5 M1098 out of fuel. Gauge read half tank but while climbing a hill power suddenly fell. Had a couple hundred yards of poor power, pedal to the floor, left before it fizzed out. Nothing abrupt, nothing to my knowledge indicated this was coming.

Put 5 gallons of fuel in and the only result obtained was a dead set of batteries.

Should I be looking somewhere else? Procedures for refueling after running her dry?

Also, replacement parts for correct fuel reading?

donquijote

Well, to the best of my knowledge, I may have run my 6.5 M1098 out of fuel. Gauge read half tank but while climbing a hill power suddenly fell. Had a couple hundred yards of poor power, pedal to the floor, left before it fizzed out. Nothing abrupt, nothing to my knowledge indicated this was coming.

Put 5 gallons of fuel in and the only result obtained was a dead set of batteries.

Should I be looking somewhere else? Procedures for refueling after running her dry?

Also, replacement parts for correct fuel reading?
There is a bleed screw on top of the fuel filter... if you crack that open while cranking the engine it will suck fuel back in and should get you going.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

papakb

It sounds more like you've had a fuel pump failure or possibly a fuel line break. If you haven't had issues with the fuel gauge before then it should still be showing a proper fuel level. Running the system dry is a PITA in the HMMWV and requires certain things to get you going again. Assuming it's just running the system dry the steps you'll need to do are to get the system reprimed with fuel. There are a couple ways of doing this and one of the more creative ways I've seen here are making sure there's fuel in the tank (which you've done) then getting it back into the system. Cranking the engine to reprime is the worst way to accomplish this because as you said it will kill your batteries.

One way is to use an expanding plug like a plumber would use to seal the tank filler neck and then slightly pressurizing the tank to push fuel into the system. There's a post on this forum about doing that. Use caution and I wouldn't recommend more that a few pounds of pressure to avoid rupturing something.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?127621-Ran-out-of-fuel-on-a-HMMWV&highlight=fuel+pump

Something I haven't tried but I think should work is to use something like a "mighty vac" attached to the petcock that drains the water filter (in the left fenderwell). Draw a vacuum on it and pull the fuel up into the system to refill it. This would also tell you if you had a cracked fuel line somewhere. When you have fuel there it's just a short way for it to get up to the IP.

If the truck is still a no go then you should look at fuel pump output pressure with a gauge on the output of the pump. If it's zero then a new fuel pump is in your future. There are a couple good posts here in the forum about changing them out.

Fuel pump:
https://www.carid.com/spectra-premiu...gleid=78059414

Gasket:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Fel-Pro/375/5182/10002/-1

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The IP will operate the engine with out the lift pump. But it will be very low on power. When the lift pump fails usally it just leaks fuel into the crank case. If you in fact ran it out of fuel and by you post it sounds like you did. You will need to open the bleeder right by the master cylinder. Its a rubber line with a small T shaped valve on it. Open this valve and crank the engine until raw fuel comes out with no bubbles. Do this with the power wire on the top of the IP removed. The wire has stripes on it. Once you have fuel coming out of that valve, Close it and reinstall the power wire on the IP. Using a 3/4 whench crack the metal fuel lines on the injectors. Only about 1/4 turn. Then crank the engine while holding the throttle wide open. This will bleed the air out of the system. You will need to do this until fuel comes out at the injectors. They need to seep fuel with no bubbles while cranking. Once you get fuel out, close the injector lines and try to start the engine. Unless you have any more problems this will get you back on the road.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got stuck the same way, it was low on power and then it stopped
Here's what I did, i posted this a few times, not the best way , but it will get you going

Remove the hose from the fuel filter going to the injector pump, get a funnel and pour fuel into it, crank and see if it will run
If it does, it will run rough, but this wont drain the batteries or burn the starter.
Check to see if any of the fuel is coming out the fuel filter, if not, then it's probably the lift pump

Like others have said, until you breach the system, the injector pump will suck fuel, but at a lack of power