• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

out of fuel

jmsneorrcom

what is the recommended way or best way to start after you run out of fuel? I looked thru the TMs and there is nothing in there about it (and no I didn't run out of fuel, just wondering)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So there is nothing in the manuals about bleeding the air out of the fuel system? I would have never thought that. ;-)

There are many posts on how to bleed the system. They even have pictures.

You can:

install an electric pump
install a manual bulb pump (think of a fuel line on an outboard boat engine)
use an airhose to slightly pressurize the tank
or follow the TM and open the bleeder and crank the engine. TM 9-2320-289-20 Chapter 3-17c

Last edited:

rlwm211

Use the same procedure that you would for replacing the fuel filter.

It is referred to as bleeding the fuel system if I am not mistaken.

I just used it last week to get a M1008 started that had run out.

RL

AllenEM

Went I use to drive a wrecker I use to help the big rig drivers out that run out of fuel by hooking a vacuum line from my gas engine in my wrecker (426 dual plug hemi) to their fuel return line and when my truck would start to cough or smoke than I knew they had fuel. That was 30 years ago also.

firecontrol86

I just did this same thing a couple weeks ago! My suggestion is to get either a siphon pump or hand bulb pump to get the fuel to the filter before trying the cranking method or you'll kill you're batteries. Just my .02

rlwm211

This procedure is covered in
TM 9-2320-289-20 page 187 for bleeding the filter.
TM 9-2320-289-34 page 198 for identifying the bleeder on the IP

The lift pump is before the filter so the fuel should be picked up pretty quickly. Once you have fuel to the filter, then you can crank the engine to Purge the air from the IP. Open the bleeder #5 in the DWG and connect a hose to collect the fuel. This is done with the pink wire removed as in the filter bleeding instructions.
Once the return line at the IP is bled, you close the bleeder, connect the pink wire and can start the engine.

Contrary to the instructions, hold the throttle on the floor. This purges the air from the injector lines quicker. Becareful not to over rev when it starts and it may start and stop a couple of times.

Remember how much the starters for these trucks cost and be sure to allow it to cool as proscribed in the instructions.

If you have a vacuum pump, hand operated or otherwise you can use this to purge the air from the fuel system but you will still have to purge the Injector lines by cranking the engine.

Hope this helps.
RL