• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Out with the old - in with the new!

storeman

This site is a great undertaking and a real service to a lot of great people. Thanks for being there. As a newbie, I have found it invaluable. Am happy to help in any way.
Jerry

bigugh20

Hats off to you guys for all that you do. I love this site.
Here is my idea. Along with the member map how about a map of suppliers and junkyards. I usually try to stop by a yard or supplier whenever I am traveling if practical. May not be feasible, but just a suggestion.

stumps

It would seem to me that all of the TM's could quite nicely be put together into a Wiki page full of links to TM manuals. That would allow you to very simply host them on the current site.

-Chuck

Jake0147

Here's my quick two cents...

The TM section- I don't know if a "vehicle specific index" is feasable, but that would be awesome. Short of that, it would be a HUGE improvement if they could remain in numerical order as they are, but be simply on one page so perusing them for an unknown manual would be less cumbersome.

For the classifieds, if you've got something "good" in mind, then more power to you cause I sure don't. However I would like to renew the request that you've heard before, whatever the new format, if the item's actual location (even if only to the state level) could be a mandatory entry and show up on the title line. Price would be nice on that line too, but the location would make the classifieds much, much easier to use. At least for a buyer.

I have one fear with the "section oriented home pages" that you suggest. I really enjoy being able to quickly "scroll through" the whole board before I pick one forum to open and read more thoroughly. I'm all for a choice, but I hope that this will still be one of the options.

LanceRobson

Hello, Mike

I think that breaking the vehicle part of the TM section down by family of vehicles (FOV) format by listing what the DOD calls a list of available publications (LOAP) would be really useful. Typically the LOAP includes the TMs, lubrication orders (LOs), supply or hand receipt manuals, communications system installation and maintenance manuals etc.

In this case since, unlike the military, we generally perform all levels of maintenance ourselves, the LOAP should be augmented with the FOV specific manuals for troubleshooting and repairing the engine, electrical system, transfer case, transmission, winch etc.

Near or at the top of the vehicle section should be a generic listing for the TMs covering the care and maintenance of tires, batteries, fabric covers, corrosion protection and painting, recovery operations etc.

A FOV LOAP format will likely result in some TMs being listed many times but I think the "one stop shopping" for each FOV will be worth it.

I'll send you a PM. Please say hello to Jean and the boys for me and I hope you are all well.

Lance

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Any chance we could have a second look at remote hosted images? I realize that you don't want dead links. But just about anything can be found on google images these days. It's just a handicap to those of us who live by their smart phones.

I can help with technical questions you might have about vB as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can we outsource customer service to India? I get a gas out of listening to those folks attempt english. My pet peave with the classifieds is price. Why can't folks be forced to put a price? I know some folks will complain about this but location. The state is just not enough. Not looking for a ZIP code but my goodness, is it a crime to use central or southeast or something? Somebody could put just Florida and still be 700 miles away from me. It's only a few but its a pain.

wbrianiii

Well, thanks for the heads up. Hope the site is back up soon.
Of course this begs the question, will there be a completely new site, complete with a new name, or will we be able to access the new version at the existing site name?

Last edited:

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
put somthing on the site so we can block certain catagories from showing up in the "new posts" section.

example:

i dont have a CUCV, so i dont want to see threads about CUCV's.

ABN173

put somthing on the site so we can block certain catagories from showing up in the "new posts" section.

example:

i dont have a CUCV, so i dont want to see threads about CUCV's.
For me at least I only have a CUCV but I want lots of MV's and I enjoy reading about ALL of them, I would not want to miss all the great threads in other sections so (no offense) but this idea is horrible.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks