• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Out with the old - in with the new!

3dAngus

Chuck,
Does content control of a privately owned and operated website not become an issue?

Wiki sites require a great deal of moderation for content control. Things can quickly get out of hand. My preference is for an organized, well structured TM section with high security and little meddling from the outside. On the other hand, if you wish to get something started, you can probably start from this website where a number of Deuce and CUCV Tech Manuals are already on hand and offered for free by another SS member. Perhaps some of your organizational skills might be inherited in the process;

www.jatonkam35s.com

(I see this link was just posted as I was writing this. Thanks!)

Last edited:

stumps

Chuck,
Does content control of a privately owned and operated website not become an issue?

Wiki sites require a great deal of moderation for content control. Things can quickly get out of hand. My preference is for an organized, well structured TM section with high security and little meddling from the outside. On the other hand, if you wish to get something started, you can probably start from this website where a number of Deuce and CUCV Tech Manuals are already on hand and offered for free by another SS member. Perhaps some of your organizational skills might be inherited in the process;

www.jatonkam35s.com

(I see this link was just posted as I was writing this. Thanks!)
I was thinking of the Wiki that is already part of the SS website. Wiki's pages are made to be easily locked so that the content cannot be changed, if that is desired.

My idea was to (with the blessing of the management) build up yet another Wiki page that had a list of all of the TM's. Each time the TM showed up in the list, it would be a click-able link to the actual manual PDF file sitting in a directory somewhere on the SS server.

It is trivially easy to do, can be locked down, and could be done in a couple of evenings. Further, you could organize it anyway you wanted. There are no limit to how many links there can be that go to a given PDF file, so you could make one page a long sorted listing of the manuals, and another page could be the manuals for the deuce, and another for the 5 ton, ... ad nauseum.

The same goes for the PS magazine articles, and any of the technical pages.

There really is no need to reinvent the SS site. We have most everything we need right here already... all that is necessary is the will to exploit the capabilities.

-Chuck

3dAngus

I was thinking of the Wiki that is already part of the SS website. Wiki's pages are made to be easily locked so that the content cannot be changed, if that is desired.

My idea was to (with the blessing of the management) build up yet another Wiki page that had a list of all of the TM's. Each time the TM showed up in the list, it would be a click-able link to the actual manual PDF file sitting in a directory somewhere on the SS server.

It is trivially easy to do, can be locked down, and could be done in a couple of evenings. Further, you could organize it anyway you wanted. There are no limit to how many links there can be that go to a given PDF file, so you could make one page a long sorted listing of the manuals, and another page could be the manuals for the deuce, and another for the 5 ton, ... ad nauseum.

The same goes for the PS magazine articles, and any of the technical pages.

There really is no need to reinvent the SS site. We have most everything we need right here already... all that is necessary is the will to exploit the capabilities.

-Chuck
That sounds great Chuck. You have won me over.
Go for it! Write all the moderators, write to Mangus. Maybe it might work out for the best of us all. Thanks.

Heavysteven

Mangus,
First off excellent job on creating this site old and new. The steel soldiers website in its current form it works very well. This is a direct result of hard work over sveral years. I look foward to any upgrades you have planned in the future.

I also wanted to let you know the current site works extremely well with many mobile devices. Best of which are the iphone and ipad.

Last edited:

mangus580

Ok guys - I think I have properly replied to all the PM's. If you sent me one, and you expected a reply that didnt come, please let me know.

I have set up 2 task-forces so far, the TM and Classifieds. They are the most important to me at the moment.

Thanks for the input!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think it goes without saying that the image viewing of the new site within threads better be.... better!

Having to view the 10 images within one post, then close the slideshow, go to the next post, then repeat, is a major PITA.

You need to be able to see all the images in one page in the slideshow.

mangus580

I think it goes without saying that the image viewing of the new site within threads better be.... better!

Having to view the 10 images within one post, then close the slideshow, go to the next post, then repeat, is a major PITA.

You need to be able to see all the images in one page in the slideshow.
Man, I sure had you spoiled before that broke huh? MOST vBulletin sites I frequent work like it is now.... 8)

Yes clinto, that is one of the goals....

ARMEAV82R

sorry ... n thanks

What's wrong with my world that people relish in messing up anothers work. I never understood vandalism or graffiti. If its worth saying ... shout it aloud for your Mother to hear. If not ST (heck) U.

Mom, come read this ... someone that cared that another person messed up my work on the website. He has good intend, but poor form.

Live long and prosper
Andy

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's wrong with my world that people relish in ****ing up anothers work. I never understood vandalism or graffiti. If its worth saying ... shout it aloud for your Mother to hear. If not STFU.

Live long and prosper
Andy
Dear New Guy...
First off... Welcome to the SteelSoldiers website.

Second.... If you haven't yet, please read the welcome message - particularly the part about this being a FAMILY FRIENLY site.
As YOU stated, ANYTHING you say should be ACCEPTABLE to your mother's ears. Hence, I strongly suggest that your compositions here reflect that in your own posts... What you said above could and would have been much more G-Rated if you had simply left out the (implied) "foul language".
Thank you. 2cents

Third...
If my second post sinks in, the SteelSoldiers Forums permit you to EDIT you previous comments..... It's in YOUR hands now, sir.

:soapbox::rant:

:grd:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But still working on new stuff ;-). I did see a test in the CUCV area for TM's!

gunboy1656

Thought of something else that need tweaked a little bit, the photo albums. Just created one and I can't get the pics to go in order. every time I try it reverses the order I put them in.