• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Outdoor Movie

jseabourn

So... Bought my deuce two months ago. We decided to build an outdoor screen to mount on it, upon which we could show movies. Other than the deuce and the outdoor project, not a terribly expensive project. I used:

three sheets of 3/4" plywood;
three, 12' 2x4s;
twelve "closed" 2x4 gate brackets;
ten "open" 2x4 gate brackets;
screws, lock washers; nuts; wood glue;
four eyebolts;
biscuit joiner and biscuits;
scrap wood (for troop seat pockets).

To build it, we removed the passenger side troop seats. We ripped 5 pieces of scrap wood place in the seat pockets. We then glued and screwed a 2x4 to them, with the 2x4 resting on the bed rail.

We then clamped a sheet of plywood to it and attached the "open" brackets to the back, with the opening facing down and resting on the 2x4 on the bed rail. We used 4 brackets on the inner sheet and 3 brackets on each outer sheet.

On the tops and bottoms of each sheet of plywood we placed "closed" brackets on the corners. These line up so that a 2x4 slid through them holds the tops and bottoms of each sheet together and provides a little more stability.

We then removed the plywood from the deuce and put biscuit joints at 1' intervals down the seams between the sheets to further stabilize the screen and "smooth" it out. The biscuits are only glued into the center sheet.

We put an eyebolt on the top and bottom outside corners and ratchet-strapped it down. It was rock solid! A freak storm blew in halfway through the movie and we shut it down. 40+ mph wind gusts but the screen stayed up all night!

To finish, my better half painted it with 2 coats of primer followed by 2 coats of Sherwin Williams Proclassic Smooth Enamel Satin Finish, untinted. It is designed for window and door trim and gives a smooth finish. Overall, turned out great! We watched "Pirates of the Caribbean" the first night (and got shut down by wind) and watched "Guardians of the Galaxy" the second night.

To be clear: it is too close to wheels for driving to be possible.

Pics to follow...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks