• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Outer wheel bearing explodes.

edpdx

The grinding I hear in my front driver's side wheel turned out to be the wheel bearing. I knew I was having to remove the wheel to check so I thought I might make some upgrades while I was at it. I bought a new WARN manual lock-out set (1/4 turn) and have it standing by.

Just now I got the back of the hub body out to find the out bearing destroyed> I Have seen this before in another post. What gives with that?

My set-up is missing the RETAINING RING AND SPACER RING- items 9&10 -20P TM page 97-1, could this be the problem?

View attachment 354104

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When did you last inspect and service it?

edpdx

Annual Services? Well if this Blazer had come to me new and I had time to keep track of every possible thing that could go wrong and stayed up on it, I wouldn't need to learn how to repair things. I guess I would be living happily in a world where I just wake up each day an go out to my rigs and perform scheduled maintenance.

We all come here to get tips and advice for all aspects of ownership. I anyone here has a truck or car that has never broke down because they are up on all their pre-emptive scheduled maintenance, I tip my hat to you. You should relocate to Vegas.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Annual Services? Well if this Blazer had come to me new and I had time to keep track of every possible thing that could go wrong and stayed up on it, I wouldn't need to learn how to repair things. I guess I would be living happily in a world where I just wake up each day an go out to my rigs and perform scheduled maintenance.

We all come here to get tips and advice for all aspects of ownership. I anyone here has a truck or car that has never broke down because they are up on all their pre-emptive scheduled maintenance, I tip my hat to you. You should relocate to Vegas.

Here are a couple reasons regular proper maintenance are stress here ;
After losing a wheel and almost my life...
Dangerous Situation Today With My M1009

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im not being a jerk here... We all have old trucks that require maintenance. What sort of maintenance the trucks had BEFORE we got them is ALWAYS questionable, no matter what the source (GL, GSA, Private sale, ect). When I get a "new to me" vehicle, no matter a truck or trailer or genset or whatever, I spend some quality time with it, going over every system. Steering, brakes, electrical, wheels, pull/inspect/repack/replace bearings, servicing brakes, all fluids/filters, etc etc etc. Sometimes this takes a good afternoon in the case of a single axle trailer. For my M35A2, it took 2 months inbetween work/family stuff. When you go over it with a fine tooth comb, armed with TM's and info you have gathered on the site here and elsewhere, atleast you know what all systems are good or have been inspected by YOU, and YOU know the status.

I had a crusty old CSM who was a mechanic tell me when I was a young LT something to the effect of:

All vehicles need maintenanace... You can either do the preventative maintenance when it is convienient for you to do it in the motorpool with the right parts, tools, help, manuals, and everything else you need. Or you can do it when the vehicle wants you to do it, and thats usually on the side of the road, in the rain, in the middle of the night with some part gone bad that was probably easily fixed back at the motorpool. And now it will take you 3 times as long to try and fix with limited parts/tools/help. Or you'll need a wrecker tio bring it back to the motorpool. The choice is not always yours because something things just break, no matter how well maintained, but if you can do preventative maintenace to cut down on the unexpected maintenace, you'll be a whole lot happier.

That always stuck with me, and so far, I havent been left on the side of the road yet.. A few hours in the garage once season year can save you big $$$ by not needing to call a wrecker on the side of road.

Just my .02.....

CPAPPY

Bearings

The grinding I hear in my front driver's side wheel turned out to be the wheel bearing. I knew I was having to remove the wheel to check so I thought I might make some upgrades while I was at it. I bought a new WARN manual lock-out set (1/4 turn) and have it standing by.

Just now I got the back of the hub body out to find the out bearing destroyed> I Have seen this before in another post. What gives with that?

My set-up is missing the RETAINING RING AND SPACER RING- items 9&10 -20P TM page 97-1, could this be the problem?

View attachment 354104

Did you loose your spindles .

Jett1

Can't we all get along.
Seriously We all love these trucks or we wouldn't be on this site.
edpdx it isn't clear to me if you have taken the other hub apart. If you are missing the retaining clip and spacer from this side then I don't know what to say...
But if there isn't anything ruined from the bearing failure I would move ahead with your upgrade and obviously replace any and all parts that you need. Please Post Pictures.

edpdx

Jet, no worries, I believe all is good here. Since I expected a different job on the hub and wheel bearings, I approached the driver side with some caution. First 4x4. The parts that were missing were located and I tried to put them in as per the manual. I came up a 1/8" too short. Simply stated, the manual calls for parts that there is no room for using stock oem parts. The learning curve was steep, but the driver side was finished by myself today in 100 degree direct sun. Tested fine. Tomorrow I'LL finish the passenger side. Pictures too.

Jett1

Jet, no worries, I believe all is good here. Since I expected a different job on the hub and wheel bearings, I approached the driver side with some caution. First 4x4. The parts that were missing were located and I tried to put them in as per the manual. I came up a 1/8" too short. Simply stated, the manual calls for parts that there is no room for using stock oem parts. The learning curve was steep, but the driver side was finished by myself today in 100 degree direct sun. Tested fine. Tomorrow I'LL finish the passenger side. Pictures too.
Congrats edpdx [thumbzup].

rickf

If that bearing was that bad then it must have spun on the spindle. If this happened then there is going to be clearance there that should not be there. You have a good chance of it happening again if the bearing is not snug on the spindle. Also, If the wheel bearings are that bad than the spindle bearing is probably worse! Did you check that one? It is in the back of the spindle and the outer axle rides on it. The spindle has to come of to get to it.

Rick

edpdx

rickf, I didn't initially plan to replace the spindle bearing- I was just trying to find the erratic noise that seemed to be coming from the front wheel. I anticipated a wheel bearing replacement or a lock-out replacement. I bought both and got the wheel bearings in and buttoned up before realizing that the spindle bearing warranted replacing while I was at it. So I bought the spindle bearing kit and replace all the parts on the passenger side, then reopened the driver side today to add the spindle bearing and seals. It went like this: I took pics but I can't find my camera just now. I'll try to upload them tomorrow.

Next, pull the rotor off. Either dig out the outside wheel bearing, or give a pull on the rotor and it will come with the rotor off the spindle. I put the outside bearing on a clean paper towel so I can compare it to the new set before attempting to install it. Since I was replacing all bearings now, I turned the rotor lug-side-up onto the tire rim- centered. I used my 4 way lug wrench as a drift through the top of the rotor hub, catching the inside bearing and inner seal, it was out with a couple of smart whacks from a ball peen hammer. HINT: I packed all the wheel bearings as they had the same number, before I started. As soon as I cleaned the rotor out I replaced the bearings and inner seal (open side is installed outboard) and covered the works with a towel. Set aside.

The caliper bracket, no doubt, has all kinds of dirt on it, especially around the nuts that hold the spindle on. Shoot it with brake cleaner to make room for the wrench. Mark the top of the caliper bracket so the install goes smoother. A 9/16" wrench seemed too loose, so I went with the 14mm on a long extension to clear the spindle. Use a breaker bar, then ratchet them off.

Matchmark the top of the spindle base with the axle housing so they go together like they came off. The spindle will have a powerful affinity to the axle housing so a rubber mallet will help persuade them to part. Pull the spindle free. The spindle bearing is recessed into the spindle about 3/8"-1/2" NOT ALL THE WAY IN! If you drive the new one in too far the needle bearings will bind where the spindle necks down.

The old bearing has to come out. A good bearing/race puller will do the job; but it will set you back a big chunk for a good one. A crappy one won't be much help. I don't own either. First I tapped the outboard edge of the bearing with a screwdriver to warp the bearing. All the bearings were easily dug out and discarded. I used my four way tire wrench to knock the bearing out a little at a time (6-7 smart raps). I placed the largest end that fit down the throat of the spindle and caught the inboard edge of the now empty bearing case. Because the lug wrench head flares out from the shaft, it was easier than any straight drift I could find- TRY IT- it did no harm to the inner surface of the spindle, as they never touched! I stacked two of the smallest rings in my bearing set kit from Harbor Freight to seat the new bearing. The smaller first ring followed the bearing in, the second one stopped the bearing about 3/8" in. Grease up the bearing. Done.

The seals on the spindle will need replacing before all is reassembled. Using a pick, dig them off the base of the spindle- note their orientation. One flat seal stays in place unless your kit includes it. Clean the area and replace the seals.

Install the spindle using the matchmarks- if you pulled the axle out a ways to change the seals, push it back in. The spindle should be rapped into place with a rubber mallet to seat it- don't rely on the nuts to seat the spindle in case it is hung up some how. Slip the caliper bracket over the lugs, minding the mark you made during removal. install the nuts and tighten to 65 lbs.

The rotor is ready. Slip it on. I found it to be a tight fit that required some massaging to seat. I found a few slight taps with the rubber mallet did the trick. Once you get seated HOLD IT THERE. Push the outer wheel bearing on the spindle and work it back until it is an inch or so onto the threaded portion of the spindle.

The Adjusting nut goes on next- it's the one with the locking pin that faces outboard. Push it onto the spindle and start it with your fingers. Work it as far back as you can to save time with the heavy socket wrench.

A helper now is handy; but you can do this yourself. Use the 4 prong hub socket to tighten the nut near snug. Set the socket on a torque Wrench set to 50 lbs. Give the rotor a spin and try to keep it moving while you torque the nut to 50lbs. Then loosen the nut and repeat three or four times; each to 50 lbs. Loosen the last one and reset the wrench to 35 lbs. No need to spin the rotor. Just tighten to 35Lbs and then loosen 3/8ths of a turn. Note the position of the locking pin in relation to the flat spot on the top of the spindle. Install the ring with the holes using the flat tang on the spindle to guide it back against the Adjusting Nut. Use a pick to turn the Adjusting nut a fraction either way to the nearest hole. The two should be flat against each other and the pin should be visible in one of the holes. -Don't go on until you get this right.

Adjust the Torque Wrench to 160lbs and make room to use some muscle. The Locking Nut goes on next. Spin it in against the ring with the tang, careful not to knock it off the pin. Holding the head of the wrench tight to the nut apply 160 lb of torque.

For those of you that may have pulled the illusive *spacer ring and *snap ring off during disassembly, put these back on, spacer first, tight against the Locking Nut. The hub body is installed next. Remember to push the spring-loaded ring in to seat the body in the hub tube. The large snap ring is installed next into a recess in the tube to keep the hub body from slipping out. If it fits, seating fully, you're good. If the hub body is in the way *these parts need to be removed. Try removing just the spacer, leaving the snap ring in place. When you can install the large snap ring into the tube with confidence, all that is left is the last outside snap ring that goes in the last groove of the axle spline. On the stock lock-outs, you install the snap ring, and the lock-out with 6-25 TORX screws and you're done.

I installed a set of WARN Manual lock-outs/hub body.

Test your work: Put both front wheels in LOCK. The wheel you are working on should be up on a jack. Rotate the rotor. The driveline from the front axle should be turning. Now FREE the raised wheel's hub. Rotate the rotor- turning it first one way then the other. The drive line way begin to tun; but when you reverse directions, you will hear the axle unlock and the driveline will not move.

Get the tools you need ready, grease your bearing, have all the parts you need handy. Order the kit when possible, verifying all parts as you are removing them so maybe a runner can correct any wrong parts ordered before you get to reinstalling them. This job was not difficult. It didn't even take that much time once all parts were onsite. Good luck.

Last edited:

rickf

Sounds like you installed the wheel bearing seal backwards. "open side outwards" would be backwards, the correct way is open side, with the spring around it, is facing in. Unless you are talking about the big soft rubber seal. That one has the flare facing out. Good writeup.;-)[thumbzup][thumbzup]

edpdx

rickf,

I think you just misread and misquoted. This may be my fault for throwing such a large post at you before the coffee kicked in.

Definition outboard: 2. (Transport / Nautical Terms) (Engineering / Aeronautics) in a position away from, or further away from, the centre line of a vessel or aircraft, esp outside the hull or fuselage.

rickf

Ahhh, Navy and/or Air Force, that explains it.:twisted::twisted: And then you throw in engineer! Say no more.rofl
I kind of figured since you got all the other stuff right that you probably got the seal right but just wanted to make sure. I have seen stranger things come through my shop.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks