• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

output flange seems to have a play

Jan Micka

Hi more knowledgeable guys,
located in Europe. I have a M998 that has developed a noise while driving that seems to come from the front axle. It disapears when I just touch the brake pedal. So I went down, checked the calipers, brake pads, the mounting bracket. What I have found the output flange has a play and I can wobble the disc with the flange by just pushing the rotor up and down. Halfshaft bolts are tight, the flange nut seems to be tight as well. I have noticed the braking got worse, the brakes chatter by braking, feels like the discs- rotors are badly scratched, first it became evident from the rear, now even from the front. I do not think when everything tight right the disc- rotor should move at all.
What am I missing? Cant find any info on the internet regarding this, I am not certainly a guy that asks before bending under the turd. Ha ha.
Thanks for any imput.
Jan

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a bit of play in the output flange. There really isn't anything you can do about it because of how short the it is coming out of the differential.

It's not uncommon to have brake noise in these. The scratching isn't good though. Might be a bad caliper if water got into the system, as DOT5 fluid doesn't absorb it and the water goes to the bottom of the system. More likely is either the slide pins on the calipers are rusted or seized up, or perhaps the mounting bracket for the caliper that bolts to the diff is loose (I had 3 of the 4 of mine loosen up over time, and made noise. When the bracket mounting bolts back out far enough, they contact the inside of the halfshaft bolts and make a lot of grinding noise as they rub past)

If it's a solid noise, I'd lean towards the slide pins, but if it is more of a repeating noise, I'd say the caliper mounting bracket bolts.

Here is where I posted a picture of the inside of the brake disc where the halfshaft bolts stick through, and you can see that they have been rubbing

And the repair

and one pic that didn't make it to the other threads where I circled the bolt that's backed out and what it's rubbing on

5303ba4423c903843d29e2c9f8bdcbc470a817ea-3-1.jpg

This noise could be heard without brakes, but when brakes applied the noise went away because the caliper is on the opposite side from this bolt, and pulled the flange up enough to stop the rubbing.

Jan Micka

Bearing inside diff.. Output flange bearing.. My guess
There is a bit of play in the output flange. There really isn't anything you can do about it because of how short the it is coming out of the differential.

It's not uncommon to have brake noise in these. The scratching isn't good though. Might be a bad caliper if water got into the system, as DOT5 fluid doesn't absorb it and the water goes to the bottom of the system. More likely is either the slide pins on the calipers are rusted or seized up, or perhaps the mounting bracket for the caliper that bolts to the diff is loose (I had 3 of the 4 of mine loosen up over time, and made noise. When the bracket mounting bolts back out far enough, they contact the inside of the halfshaft bolts and make a lot of grinding noise as they rub past)

If it's a solid noise, I'd lean towards the slide pins, but if it is more of a repeating noise, I'd say the caliper mounting bracket bolts.

Here is where I posted a picture of the inside of the brake disc where the halfshaft bolts stick through, and you can see that they have been rubbing

And the repair

and one pic that didn't make it to the other threads where I circled the bolt that's backed out and what it's rubbing on

View attachment 902841

This noise could be heard without brakes, but when brakes applied the noise went away because the caliper is on the opposite side from this bolt, and pulled the flange up enough to stop the rubbing.
Hi,
thanks for input. I have checked everything, the pins move freely, all bolts are tight , no separated brake material from the brake pads,. The pads are around 50 percent, one slightly worn more than the others. Pads move freely, I have greased everything, cleaned everything. Cant find anything abnormal, u joints are tight. The humvee is military surplus with only 150 miles when I purchased it. Now it has 5000 miles, it was rebuilt 2013. I might try to change the pads for the new one and see if that helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks