• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ouverson Engineering Wish List

mudguppy

the brakes won't handle the GVW - they are for rock crawlers and mud trucks.

i love my lockers and hubs, though. i will be upgrading axle shafts in the future, though. :-D

Alex400

x2 on the brakes. the brakes are designed around small trucks with big axles and tires. This very common and mainly to get the heavy brake assembly off the axles to save weight.

bz28

I thought about the pinion brakes. If you could get a master cylinder to work off of the e-brake handle, they would make a real sturdy parking brake, and if you're in an emergency, or your normal brakes blow out, it would be real nice to have.

Alex400

Good to know, what about adding pinion/drive line brakes to supplement the deuces drum brakes? Good or bad Idea?
you would have to have a master cylinder that is designed to work with drum brakes as well as disc because disc brakes take less fluid movement to operate than drums, or you would have to have a serious proportioning valve

I thought about the pinion brakes. If you could get a master cylinder to work off of the e-brake handle, they would make a real sturdy parking brake, and if you're in an emergency, or your normal brakes blow out, it would be real nice to have.
It would be a more powerful parking brake i would think. I would only use them on the rear the though. The draw back of this idea is that you would be relying on the condition of the master cylinder to hold the truck( i.e. hydraulic pressure) Problem with this is that if the master cylinder started to seep internally the parking would slowly lose it's grip and the truck would start to roll, not good when we are talking about 13,000 pounds of truck or any size car for that matter. That is why all cars have manually locking parking brakes. Some big trucks that i have seen have driveline parking brakes (either old trucks or commercial trucks without air brakes) that use a large manual caliper with a cable that goes to a lever inside the cab, just like in a car. That would be the safest way to go IMO.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
use a pinon mounted disc, only use air with a maxi air spring brake, no air , brake set, truck wont roll, or dump the air to the spring brake and it will apply slowing the truck down, i went to do this for the 819 because the e brake wont even hold it on flat groung

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
pinion brakes are for parking only. they are very dangerous if applied while moving. they don't stop the wheel just the driveshaft, one wheel may spin backwards while the other goes forward = no control.

Alex400

pinion brakes are for parking only. they are very dangerous if applied while moving. they don't stop the wheel just the driveshaft, one wheel may spin backwards while the other goes forward = no control.
that is true, though this would be different with lockers but it would still pose a problem.

Corey

Ever watched a monster truck? 10,000lbs, 1200hp, 66" tires, what kind of brakes?

powerhouseduece

I know one. 1999 Chevrolet Z71, 24" lift, licensed and insured, 8080 lbs., 16.00's, 60 mph. Pinion brake works pretty good too, IIRC.

Well thats the reason that there are states with very strict lift laws. (maryland being the worst)

Pinion breaks do work cause the breaking power is increased through the axle itself. But the thing is, I dont think I would put my life or others in the hands of 2 break rotors on a 8,000 # truck. (I dont think its just me) Whats going to happen if one fails? you got one left, and personally I dont want to put my truck in a ditch to keeping me from "monster trucking" a mini van. I'm not saying its going to happen but it damn well could.

Im getting started on my project truck, a 88' f350 on 53's. Im going to dish out the $ for atleast front hub disc's. I might run a rear pinion brake. Im not completly appoused to them, I would just not run them on the street. yes, you might save some money for a new set of rims, but just put money away for when they fail. Im not even going to be able to tag and insure my truck let alone drive it on the street.

We did a 10" lift on a 08' f150 and it was 2 months before he got so many tickets the lift had to come off.

:rant:

rebel_raider

I'm not saying its the safest thing on the road, but he has never had a problem with one wheel spinning forward and the other spinning backwards, or the brake not being able to stop the truck.

russ81

Most state laws that I have checked into state there must be a mechanical stopping component at each wheel. Reason for this is that if you have a pinion brake, and drop an axle, you have no breaking ability. (big truck "drop axles" are under a different law) A pinion brake can be used as an auxillary brake or emergency brake only, to be street legal.

mudguppy

Ever watched a monster truck? 10,000lbs, 1200hp, 66" tires, what kind of brakes?
more like 1400 to 1800 hp... most guys run 540 Merlins for reliability and cost. some will run 572's and a few 620 Merlins, and even fewer running big cid hemi's (last i saw Bearfoot [years ago] they ran a 598 hemi at 2000+ hp).

pinion brakes do work - they work extremely well for full braking ability. because of the small surface area but compounded by the huge leverage in gear ratio (monster truck example: ~6.x:1 axle ratio + 3:1 hubs = 18.x:1 advantage), pinion brakes are extremely touchy and are more of an ON or OFF thing. this also adds to their extreme heat production as well as exponentially short lifespan.

the point that was made is very true: pinion brakes are extremely traction sensitive - watch that monster truck again closely and you'll often see a front [or rear] tire either skidding or slowly rotating in the opposite direction.

also, pinion brakes on the street w/ lockers is an extremely wild and dangerous ride - there's no telling what direction you'll go when you slam on the brakes. even with an open diff, wet pavement can easily lead to disaster - not only can you lose braking ability, you can lose steering ability.

pinion brakes need to remain on dedicated off-road rigs and tractors.