• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ouverson vs. Detroit

Parker2

I am getting ready to put lockers in both rear axles on my Duece. I can't decide between the Ouverson's or the Detroits. Anyone have a suggestion on what brand to go with? Is one more aggressive than the other? What brand would do better on the street?

jblack6527

I don't know anything about the Ouversons, but I know Detroit's really aren't street friendly. I know people that run them and say they work fine (keep in mind, that this is in 1/2-3/4 ton pickups), and I hear of some people that say they don't.
IMO, if I were going to spend the money to put lockers in my Deuce and still drive it on the street, I would put ARB air lockers in. Full lock when you flip the switch, and regular open differential when you turn it off. Best of both worlds.

DanMartin

Yes, the ARB option. $$$, but best-of-both worlds. Air operated even....perfect. Flick of a (air) switch, you're locked or open. Easy.

I have a set (3 units) ready to go in....as soon as I can figure out how to get the bed off of mine to gain access to the diffs. :) I've seen them for the $800-$1000 range (but the price may have come down since I last looked). I got some of the first units to hit US shores...

mudguppy

go w/ Ouversons - they are waaaaayy better quality and material than the detroits. plus, they can be upgraded if you ever upgrade the shafts.

also, you can get 3 ouversons plus lockout hubs for the front for the same price as 2 ARBs.

now, i don't know how they behave in a tandem-axle setup. but in my bob'er, it was a very simple driving style change and the ouverson in the rear is completely undetectable.

or, you could get 2 ouversons and a set of lockouts; put the lockouts on the intermediate and run 2wd on the street. all for less than 2 ARBs.

lots of options...

but, again: don't get a detroit for what you can get an Ultra Locker for!!!!!! Randy is a stand-up guy and will back his stuff 100%.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks