• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oval thingy below the bed

dirtyfingernails

I have a silly question. What's the steel oval ring welded below the bed and between the two rear axles do? It's on all of the vehicles, but I never see anything attached to them. Thanks.
Steve

Jetnoise400

Steve,

That ring is part of a sling system. There is a large bar that goes through that ring (the end points upward with a closed ring at the end), down between the axles on top of the spring mounts and attaches to that bracket looking thing on top of the suspension... I'm looking for a photo, I just saw one... stay tuned.....

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How come I've only seen one deuce in many years of my involvement in the MV hobby with this sling bar installed? Are they rare?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never seen saw one in the Army... No one knew what they were REALLY for, we used used them for a ratchet strap tiedown point.

rmgill

The only time they'd really be used is for loading the trucks onto shops. They're probably a General Support end use item for the big logistics folks and most likely only seen sitting way in the back of a particular parts truck. With RO-RO the rule of thumb now for ship loading it's doubtful they EVER Get used.

FrankUSMC

I saw several trucks with the lifting bars in place while in the Marines. I am still kicking myself because there were several of the them on the trucks my friend cut up back in January. I did find one of the lifting bars in the pile of scrape and I gave it to Garbee.
One of the few, Frank

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL just released a bunch about a year ago. When they loaded all the 900 series trucks here at Port Everglades they didn't use them. I believe Bruce Kalin has them on his deuce. Bruce is the founder of the East Coast Convoy.

jasonjc

I neve seen them in use either even when I helped load out the 1CAV DIV on the way home (1 st go round) Some trucks did go on top of the ro-ros.
This must be the replacement look close it hard to see in this pic

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks