• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Over 12 Foot Wide Deuce

Heath_h49008

Seriously, it would be good to reach out to this poor guy and bring him up to speed. He's enthusiastic and seems like a nice enough guy, who just repeated things he heard from bad sources.

TehTDK

As a non-owner yet I would actually appreciate if someone knew or had a video/soundclip of how a hydrolock sounded like if such a thing even exists.

Heath_h49008

It depends, if you have the shut-down handle pulled it should sound like a "Thunk" as the cylinder stops and the engine stops turning. If she's got the stop handle in, from what I've been told you can't hear anything over the firing of the "clear" cylinders... until it goes "Boom" anyway.

FWIW

If you ever find dead batteries, and the main switch in the "On" position, the chances of a hydrolocked cylinder are much higher.

budman67

As a non-owner yet I would actually appreciate if someone knew or had a video/soundclip of how a hydrolock sounded like if such a thing even exists.

I have a thread where I asked if a member here could do a video
of the proper starting procedure. I haven't seen one yet.

They guy seems like a likable fellow,but if you are going to put
out a video to inform the masses,you need your facts straight.

TehTDK

I have a thread where I asked if a member here could do a video
of the proper starting procedure. I haven't seen one yet.

They guy seems like a likable fellow,but if you are going to put
out a video to inform the masses,you need your facts straight.
I know how to properly start a deuce, excluding the proper procedure for checking for hydrolock. But remember something like turning the master switch on, but turning the fuel pump off and then trying to crank it over etc.

Heath_h49008

Master on
Shut Down pulled out all the way
Crank for several rotations.

If the engine stops suddenly, or does not crank, check battery voltage and connections and check for a hydrolocked cylinder. If the cylinder hydrolock scenario is suspected, pull the injectors and turn the engine over by hand/bar to clear any pooled fuel/oil/water and figure out how it got in there. (master switch left on, bad head gasket, etc)

If the engine turns freely, then:

Master on
Shut Down pushed in to run/start position
Press the start button for no more than 10-20 seconds until the engine starts. (If in cold weather use flame heater or ether start unit as directed in the TM for that unit.)

If it does not start in 10-20 seconds, wait 2 minutes between attempts to allow the starter to cool before cranking again.

When the engine starts, do your standard walk around inspection for leaks, lights and tire pressure while the engine idles for up to 5 minutes and builds air pressure and warms the oil/turbo. Before the engine reaches operating temps, control the idle speed with the hand throttle, and DO NOT rev the engine past 1200rpm.

Not really complicated.

I also like to check the oil level after she runs and then sits for a couple of minutes. It fills the filter canisters and gives me a better dipstick reading. IMHO

If I forgot anything, I'm certain others will chime in...

Heath

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks