• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Over/Around The Camper Shell" Style Rack on M1009

Greasey1009

So, I was wondering if anyone has tried to install an aftermarket "over/around" the camper shell style ladder rack on their M1009. See pic's for explanation.

I know you can bolt on some Thule racks, fab your own ( like I saw in a fairly recent thread about installing racks on M1009 ), but I was thinking about an aftermarket setup designed to slip under the camper shell of a truck and still provide a good load rating. I have a shell on my tacoma, have some racks, but wanted to maybe go a different direction on a M1009 in the future.

Any thoughts?

( I added the old pickup with the camper cause it's just cool, not quite the same install as the others! )

Attachments

Mikey90744

gotta be careful, some of those will jack the shell on a pickup up by about 1/8th inch, might cause bolting up issues at the vertical seam? I dont know how they bold the top on, just saying. Maybe you could grind a little notch out of the top to so there is clearance for the mounting plate? however I know on my fiberglass pickup shell there is a metal bar in the bed rail mounting surface.

that was probably no help to you tho

Greasey1009

Any response is helpful!

I was wondering about the connection at the "bedrail", the fit, and the seams. In the thread regarding roof racks, I believe the custom racks that were installed in a similar "around the shell" style did not leak.

I guess it depends on the thickness of the mounting plates, and the thickness of the seams.

I was looking for a way to have a solid rack, but still be able to remove the top in good weather.

I was also considering a canvas soft top under the rack, softtopper fits under a rack.

Last edited:

Mikey90744

how they connect to the bed rail, Ive seen some that where that plate goes between the bed rail and cap, that's the extent of it just bolted down to the bed rail (not really my cup of tea) those MAYBE you could use a grinder and clearance the cap side of the mating surface, but Ive also seen others that run a piece of angle iron basically the length of the bed rail.

my thoughts/fears would where the cap bolts up, on my truck the only sealing surface is along the bed rails, front and sides. the shell could be propped up say 2" and not lose any mounting bolts or seals. On a M1009 I dont know how the cap is bolted on, but if there are any bolts going from the roof of the cap to the roof of the truck well those wont line up anymore if you end up raising the cap 1/8th inch or even 1/16th inch.

Greasey1009

I believe the mounting bolts are along the "bedrail" and vertically where the hard top meets the "cab". I don't believe there are mounting bolts along the roof. If it fits, I feel like mounting along the "bedrails" would be enough. Its enough for a truck right? SO why not in a M1009?

Mikey90744

I'm not saying that bolting it up only on the bed rail wouldn't be safe, **** my shell is only held on by 2 bolts through the bed rails each side. I believe these caps are held on by 4 or 5 on each bed rail arent they? I don't have a K5 or M1009, so I don't know, by my fears with those bolt holes not lining up would be that the whole surface doesn't seal. if the bolt holes are small enough tho you could maybe run a few bolts with 1/ 16th diameter threads or same idea just to pinch it down if it does leak but the holes don't line up perfect

Greasey1009

I was thinking that the soft topper should seal off those areas where "extra" holes would allow leaking anyway. If it seals down on the bed rail anyway, it should be able to seal down onto the metal of the rack ( if its one continuous piece ).

Thanks for the info.