• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Over charging help!

Zemis

So here is what I have about a year ago my 77 M885 started over charging, and blew all my lights and fryed out the main wire going from the alt to the battery. since then I have replaced the voltage regulator, new alternator, and a new battery, plus fixxed the burnt out wire.

Today went and checked it and its charging at 15-16 volts. cant figure out for the life of us why, all parts of the charging system are new, and grounded right. Anyone have this problem, or know a few things I can check out?

N1265

A lot of people have had trouble with the china VR's that you get at most auto part stores, some only last a few months.

I have had good luck with getting MOPAR VR's from summit racing. However, That being said, there are some on another board who also had trouble with the MOPAR VR's also and have converted to a single wire alternator...

Have you done the AMP gauge by pass yet ?

Was your charge wire burnt at the firewall connector ?

Zemis

No adjustment that I know of its an external regulator.

We were checking the system via volt-ohm meter [sp?] and an alternator tester. Im an amateur mechanic , but I had my friend with equipment who knew what he was doing. but we were unsure why it was over charging.

and no the wire was burn up inside the dash because someone replaced a small chunk of it with smaller guage wire. when the system overcharged the first time, Im guess thats when it fryed out

Greasy

I too have been having nothing but trouble with my stock M-880's Dodge alternator/regulator. Not overcharging, but intermittent charging. New (U.S made) regulator, ground strap (was missing) at regulator mounting bolt, cleaned and checked all connections. I am now in the process of installing a General Motors AC Delco 10 SI with internal regulator. I will post pictures when I have it completed. I'm ready to put this issue behind me.

Zemis

I do all my voltage testing with my friend and his meter, so we get real reading. I just got a new voltage regulator Im going to try that. Also heard sometimes if the wire going to the voltage regulator is stretched or exposed anywhere it can miss read, and tell the alternator to do the wrong thing

Zemis

Hey everyone, making progress on my charging issue, with much help from the M880 tech manuals. my question is anyone know or can check what the exact voltage your getting outta the red and light green (yellow if worn) comming outta the back of the alternator?

Zemis

Never mind to my last post, Finaly! got it charging properly, was loosing volts on the wire running to my voltage regulator, ran a new wire into the circuit and BAM! now just have to figure out where and why my running lights arent working, but brake turn and headlights all work fine

Zemis

ok after searching the forums I belive my problem might be, the parking lamp relay installed in models with towing lights, But You cant get them anywhere. someone posted that you can use a BOSH ISO relay from any car stereo place. Wanted to know if anyone had advice

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one that was caused by that relay , I had a spare one. Although it may have went out again, I noticed when I put it away for the winter.
On my M884 the 3 lever light switch was the culprit

Last edited:

Zemis

well since the relay is only there for when you are towing, I just ran an extra wire, and skipped the relay. guess what, problem solved. Finally Im back up and running :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks