• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Over Charging

blackdiesel

Yes, ive searched. and no, havnt found a specific answer

There seems to be quite a bit of problems like this, but everyone has a different opinion?

My situation is like this, im using my multi-fuel as a power unit, so it is getting ran an hour to two at a time @ 1700 rpm constantly. I have a small fuel pump feeding off of the 12v side of the batteries. I have ran it like this for 6 months or so with zero problems till today. This morning i started my operation up, and the volt gauge went to peg on the right side. It has been doing this for a week or so now, and nothing has ever came of it.

However, today when i went to shut down after an hour or so, i could smell hot batteries and the battery on the 24v side was smoking. has my voltage regulator quit on me? Need this fixed ASAP, its going to get old hooking the batteries up just to start then unhooking in order to run. (tried turning the switch off, but still charges & smokes?!)

avengeusa

regulator i bet.......

just replace the alternator or have one built, i sell an aftermarket unit on my site and get special pricing for ss members

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had this happen to several alternators. I was able to fix the last one by adjusting the voltage via the set screw on the alternator. It should stop charging when you shut off the master switch. If not, the wiring might have been messed with.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the specific gravity of all battery cells, tapping off of one battery may upset the charging voltage for each.

Last edited:

tmbrwolf

Tapping off one battery WILL cause problems, I have this issue with fire departments all the time, they hook up a radio or lights to the rear battery on the deuce, it will cause an imbalance in the batterys and causes front battery to overcharge and the rear to go flat. I have them put those items on a 24V to 12V converter and the problem goes away!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with tmbrwolf and cranetruck. I have had bad experiences taking 12 volt off one battery. I used to switch battery positions every month to keep them even as possible, but what a pain that is. A converter to drop 24 to 12 is the best way. If the overcharging has not damaged the batteries, use a 12 volt charger to bring the low one up and then try the unit again. If it acts like it should, then you know the pulling too much off the second battery with the 12v tap. If you cannot get the current batteries to balance with a 12 volt charger, then you will need new batteries. Invest in a converter.
Regards Marti

roscoe

I've had this happen to several alternators. I was able to fix the last one by adjusting the voltage via the set screw on the alternator. It should stop charging when you shut off the master switch. If not, the wiring might have been messed with.
Where on the alternator is the set screw? I've got an overcharging problem also.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roscoe, please stick with one thread for your issue, it's much easier for us to follow and respond correctly to one thread.