• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Over heated my Deuce. Got a couple questions

panzerjunky

Hello Gents
Helped my neighbor out today cleared out 5200 Ld of century plants and succulents and hauled to the dump in 3 loads 1st time useing the deuce for work. Largest load was 3200 Lb and she ran like there was nothing in the truck I was impressed.
But........about 2 1/2 to 3 miles from the house I started to smell coolant and knew something was wrong.
Got to a place about a mile and a half down the road pulled over and found my alt,Fan, air comp pump belt was gone the 1st one went a couple weeks ago and the last one today. I was just waiting on new hoses from will to pull it all apart and fix the belts hoses ect.
The coolant was spraying out of the upper hose from between the water neck and the hose clamp.
Questions are
1. when I cleaned my primary fuel filter I had to loosen the belts is it possible that I over tensioned the belts when I got the filter back together as for them both to go this close to each other
2. or were both belts just old and when one went it put all the load on an already bad belt.
3. last and most important question....What is the worse that can happen running this truck 2 miles when overheated.
Thanks Jerry

dittle

Answer to #3 (my opinion entirely) is that as long as you didn't lock the engine up it will probably be ok, but I would watch fluids the next couple of times to make sure you don't make anything. Any idea what your temp gauge was at?

Westech

CPL
Ok. #1.. if one broke you think the other one was in good shape? You would have to really make that thing tight to brake a belt. Like know your doing some thing wrong. When you tighten belts there should be 1- 1.5 inch of travel in the belt. (up and down) and worst case you trashed your engine. really I bet if you fix the things that should have kept it off the road in the first place you should be ok. I have seen deuces over heat before and put new belts/hoses on and be fine.

poppop

I have had quite a few engines overheat in my life time. None have ever failed because of it. Mind you I did not keep running them once I knew they were hot. Most engines I have seen damaged by over heating was what was done to them imediatley after. Pouring cold water in a hot engine without it running is the quickest way to damage and engine. If the engine is extremly hot the best thing to do is allow it to cool down by itself before you add water. If you have to get going right away add water slowly with the engine running. add some and wait several seconds before adding more until the temp is normal. then watch it for several days to see if it is leaking somewhere.

panzerjunky

Ok. #1.. if one broke you think the other one was in good shape? You would have to really make that thing tight to brake a belt. Like know your doing some thing wrong. When you tighten belts there should be 1- 1.5 inch of travel in the belt. (up and down) and worst case you trashed your engine. really I bet if you fix the things that should have kept it off the road in the first place you should be ok. I have seen deuces over heat before and put new belts/hoses on and be fine.
The second belt didn't look bad no checks all the cogs were in place but I am in the process of replacing all the belts hoses fuel lines and related tubing my radiator hoses didn't look bad externaly but as a matter of practice I change out every thing on a new Ok new to me Vehicle. So to answer your question other than one missing belt I didnt see any obvious issue that would " Keep it off the road"
Thanks Jerry

91W350

It was at about 220
Unless it had blown a huge amount of coolant out and was sensing air, you are fine with 220.

Another caution on pouring coolant in an overheated running engine is that if it has boiled low, that fresh water flow will raise the coolant level to very hot metal. Instant steam blow back. Some of the worst automotive burns come from this. If you can run water over the outside of the radiator with the cap on, it will help cool it quickly.

By driving, the air flow through the radiator may keep the fan turning. I am not familiar enough with your engine to know if the fan is water pump driven, or attached to the pump, but if it is, you can alternate between power and coasting to keep water circulating with the wind blowing by the fan. Another option is to coast with engine off then fire and get up to speed, to coast again. It is best though to stop when an engine starts running hot and fix the issue. Glen

panzerjunky

Unless it had blown a huge amount of coolant out and was sensing air, you are fine with 220.

Another caution on pouring coolant in an overheated running engine is that if it has boiled low, that fresh water flow will raise the coolant level to very hot metal. Instant steam blow back. Some of the worst automotive burns come from this. If you can run water over the outside of the radiator with the cap on, it will help cool it quickly.

By driving, the air flow through the radiator may keep the fan turning. I am not familiar enough with your engine to know if the fan is water pump driven, or attached to the pump, but if it is, you can alternate between power and coasting to keep water circulating with the wind blowing by the fan. Another option is to coast with engine off then fire and get up to speed, to coast again. It is best though to stop when an engine starts running hot and fix the issue. Glen
Hello and thanks for the info
We were in reality less that a mile and a half from home so I went for it as there was realy no safe place to stop.
Thanks Jerry

XJCowboy

It was at about 220

Unless your engine is drastically different from any other engine then you dont have anything to worry about.

My jeeps all run on a good day at about 220 (slightly more than midway on the gauge) My truck (diesel) runs alot cooler than that but the middle of the gauge is at 220.

panzerjunky

Unless your engine is drastically different from any other engine then you dont have anything to worry about.

My jeeps all run on a good day at about 220 (slightly more than midway on the gauge) My truck (diesel) runs alot cooler than that but the middle of the gauge is at 220.
In retrospect it was either high 220 almost 240 or pegged I couldn't tell.
after it cooled off I started it right up and it ran for a couple minutes just fine then I shut her down.
I think it will be ok.
Thanks For all your help
Jerry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks