• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

overcharging batterys

2deuce

Ran my new Deuce about 4-5 hours yesterday and when I got home the optima batterys blew a cloud of sulfuric gas up into the cab. I heard this pop and hiss and saw this cloud. I was lucky I wasn't on the hiway when it happened cause you can't breath only gag and cough.
What do you guys think? Bad alternator? Those batterys were too hot to touch.

Thanks,
Greg

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be an alternator, could be just junk batteries. Get some good batteries, then troubleshoot the charging system.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the batteries started out poorely charged, they would be charged at a high rate, which may have overheated them....
The vehicle charging system is not designed to charge drained batteries, only to recover the charge lost during normal starting.

Michael

The first thing I would do is measure the voltage across each battery. If it is less than 12.6, I would slow charge it. Once they read 12.8, I would start the vehicle and measure it again. You should see less than 15 volts across each and they should be about the same. A sudden high discharge should be considered also.

From the optima web site:

FAQs: Battery Care & Maintenance

QUESTION

Does an OPTIMA battery ever gas?

ANSWER

When used with a properly regulated constant voltage charging system (such as an alternator) the OPTIMA will usually not emit hydrogen gas. However, gassing can occur when charging at higher voltage levels or in extreme high temperature conditions. In automotive applications this typically will not happen if the alternator/regulator stay below 15 volts.

Open circuit voltage (OCV) and storage:

OCV: 34 / 34R / 34/78 / 6V / 34M / 75/35 >12.8 volts
(for a fully charged battery)

D34 / D34/78 / D6V / D34M >13.0 volts
(for a fully charged battery)
Battery Storage

Because of the high purity lead grid in the OPTIMA battery, it has a self-discharge rate much lower than conventional flat-plate batteries. This means the OPTIMA can sit for longer periods retaining enough charge to start your vehicle. Depending on storage temperature, the OPTIMA can usually sit for 8 to 12 months and start most vehicles.

When possible, store your battery in a cool, dry location. Check the battery voltage every 6 months and charge if it falls below 12.6 volts.

ecbarnum

Another thing to check is that the alternator voltage is evenly divided across the two batteries. For example if one was shorted or dead and other wasn't, the initial charging current / voltage would be too high for the good one. Once they're both charged then they should equalize themselves automatically.

2deuce

Bjorn, My batterys were totally dead when I got it. I jumped the truck and never turned it off again for 8 hours. When I got home, I left it in my driveway running while I made room for it and disconnected the M1009 it was towing. When I got back into the cab I noticed a faint smell of sulfer, but didn't think batterys like I should have. Then on driving it to the back side of my property I stalled the engine and to my relief the batterys restarted it. 30 seconds later there was a pop, hiss and I had the white cloud in the cab. Extermely bad situation if I was on the hiway. You cannot breath that gas, your body won't permit it. I'm thinking the regulator is or was stuck. I'm going to get out the volt meter. Both batterys were too hot to touch. The truck is totally stock, no accessories off the batterys.
Thanks,
Greg

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greg, dead batteries should not be charged by the vehicle charging system. See my thread:
http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=22180

I won't even attempt to start the truck until the batteries are fully charged (after Chargetek green/float charge light comes on). If they wont take the charge, they will simply not be used. I got these cheap and was gambling that they would be useful for a while yet, but the jury is still out...

AZDeuce

A decade ago, I owned a M35 gasser. I installed a new M35A2 wiring harness, for the turn signals, and to ultilize more modern components like the alternator. It worked great until one night in the dark I accidently shorted something out BIG TIME, with a misdirected STEEL tool...DOH!
Looked like a arc welder going off, not a good thing!

What ever I did fried the alternator, it now pegged way over into the GREEN when I fired up the truck, and the batteries (Optimas) began to "boil" almost immediately.

So my initial guess, based on my experience, is possibly your alternator went South. I don't know ANYTHING about electrical stuff, so hopefully someone else can chime in to tell you how to check it.

In my case, I bought a used but "checked out" alternator, and installed it, and never had another problem, kept the same batteries for two more years until I sold her.

Another time while driving my M52A2 "Mongo" sparks started falling from under the dash. Someone in the military had tapped into a hot wire, and later when they surplused the truck must have removed what ever the wire went to, and left the wire bare.......THANKS!

That short fried the alternator, but before I realized that it was over charging, I burned up every light bulb in that truck, and boiled the batteries pretty well (not Optimas). Removing the excess wiring, replacing the altrnator and ALL lights, and I was back in business.

So when I hear stories like yours I automatically suspect the alternator. That may not be your problem, but I'd look there first.

Hope this helps - Tom

2deuce

If I had new batterys I would put them on the charger before they would be installed but if I leave my lights on and run my battery down, I'll give it a jump. Thats what I did to the deuce, I used jumper cables. I expect the military would use slave cables. Its not good for a battery to be run down and I've heard that when that happens the next charge the battery accepts will be less than the full charge that was in it initially.
The alternator still charges. The gage shows it charging on the green/red line. My volt meter quit so I don't know what it's putting out.
Thanks,
Greg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks