• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overdrive unit to fit a M35A2 and a 5 Ton

FrankCopren

Overdrive unit to fit a M35A2 and a 5 Ton
Looking for any brand overdrive unit that will fit between the transfer case and the first
Differential
Best case scenario, it will be two speed
Direct and overdrive
Anyone have any helpful suggestions??

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you wedge a Brownie Box in there, the driveshaft between the box and the forward tandem will be about 18" long. Does that raise any issues in your mind? Think articulation.

FrankCopren

My 1948 Pete has a 3 speed brownie, direct, under and over
It is a beast (needed a fork lift to install it
I am looking for something two speeds and 1/3 smaller and lighter
Any ideas?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
In your deuce, the absolute best choice would be Waterloo's .69 overdrive kit. This is the best choice for more speed or less rpm's.

http://www.waterloospecialties.com/overdrive/index.html

For your 5 ton, I don't know what the best choice would be.

There is a guy here who did an overdrive box South of the transfer, but like the poster above said, the driveshaft was very short and I personally wouldn't do it that way, but the guy said he hadn't had any problems.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?26335-1970-Duce-restored-with-a-7041-spicer-aux-gear-box

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to discuss this, please post in the forums(or search them and read the other similar thread topics).

If you want a part, post here in the parts wanted (classifieds).

Any discussion here will be lost.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If your 5ton has a multifuel, it probably has the 1:1 5th gear. Just swap in an O/D trans from an 818.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved to forums since nobody understood my post.

Hainebd

Be nice not everyone is as smart as you are! Even GOD made a mistake every now and then. Second mistake was Woman. Can you guess what the first mistake was?

now OD t-case? I need more input on that!

Jeepsinker

All of the M939 series trucks came from the factory with and overdriven transfer case in forward gears and underdriven in reverse to compensate for the automatic transmission without a real overdrive.
The lower reverse gear is why you aren't supposed to back up with the transfer in low range. Too much torque/ reduction, it damages the case.

spicergear

Typically damages the case at the front drop because of the automatic low range front diff pull in. Take the washer off of the linkage and control the front axle on your own by the switch in the cab. The Allison with the multiplication of the torque converter can hit it pretty hard and with the front axle pulled in, something's gotta give because you won't spin the front tires like you may be able to slip the tandems. Not all trucks had the low and reverse locked out. I'm offroad 90% of the time and hauling 50% of that time with return loads. Use your head, pull the that washer off the hi/low linkage and use the truck. Probably the most expensive washer in the service. What's new five ton t-case cost the military? ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks