• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overheating/Waterpump question

tequilaiam

Is there any way to easily figure out if I have the wrong (reverse flow) water pump?
I put this one ( http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=59175 ) in during my turbo install.
The one I recieved looks like all the photos. Because of that flange on the impeller I couldn't actually see the blades but everything else looked OK so I installed it.

Anyway, turbo is in and while doing some test drives I saw my electric temp gauge hit almost 250F.

Now it could be just an electrical issue with the gauge or degraded radiator (I dislodged a rock that apparently had been sealing one of the radiator tubes during the project and had to pinch it off and use a bottle of liquid aluminum to fix a different leak). I still have the hood off so perhaps it's an issue with air flow through the rad being disrupted by lack of hood. Or something else entirely.

Anyhow, Is there a good way to diagnose the flow direction without removing the pump?
Temp. difference across a set of hoses or something with a DIY radiator flush splice connection and a garden hose?

Just looking for ideas before just throwing more parts at this thing.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you installed your turbo did you go with the serpentine belt?

After checking the specs on your new pump it looks like the pump you installed is the stock unit for a v-belt drive setup. The serpentine belt rotates in the opposite direction.

With that being said there is no guarantee which pump was in the box.

Last edited:

tequilaiam

Thanks for the quick response. I left the V-belt setup on.

In theory, if I disconnect the large radiator hoses at the rad and I put a harden hose into the lower end, the W.P. should lift the water up and dispense it out the upper large tube. Will this work with the t-stat closed?

The easiest way I can think of to prove the flow is correct is giving the pump a source of unpressurized water to see if it's freely ejected out of the top. But I won't try unless the engine is dead cold first.

dependable

I don't think it will work with thermostat closed. I believe the heater hose coming out of the crossover pipe is the supply, and the one to the radiator is return. That might show flow direction with thermostat closed.

nyoffroad

With the engine off and cool remove the upper hose from the radiator stand off to the side and have a helper start the truck for just a second or two. Coolant should come out the hose, if it bubbles up and out of the radiator instead you have the wrong pump. Keep in mind the thermostat will restrict the flow somewhat so coolant won't just gush out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks